1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

trying to get papers on my goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Mar 30, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So I have learned my lesson to always get the papers the day you pick up your goats. I unfortunately didn't do this when I bought my does back in November. It didn't matter much to me that I didn't have them, until I went to sell the kids we had born in January. One person bought a wether from us and doesn't care about papers. The other person bought a buckling and since she will be using him to breed with her herd, she definitely wants him registered.

I have been trying since mid February to get the papers but have been unsuccessful. I want to believe that the lady is just swamped with work and really does intend on fufilling her part of this (meaning she did indeed sell me registered goats as she said and she is sending me papers). However, I am becoming increasingly upset that I haven't gotten anything. She said in early March that she hadn't gotten my email with my address so I sent it again. She said on the 14th that it had been put in the wrong stack of mail on accident and she would send it out on the 16th. I still haven't gotten anything. I emailed her four days ago asking about it and she hasn't yet responded. I emailed her again just a few minutes ago and I hope she will respond in some way.

I am a fairly non-confrontational person so I am probably overly nice in my emails sometimes, but darn it; I want those papers! The person I sold a buckling to already wants the papers. That same person is buying another buckling from me and she is going to want the papers for him as well. I just don't know what else to do. I do have the lady's phone number, but I am trying to keep it to email right now so that I have a record of everything that is said. Anyone have any ideas for me? Should I start to get nasty about it and if so, what should I say?

2. Goattalker

Goattalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    If this is an ADGA goat, you can contact them, and they will help you move the breeder along.

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I belive they would probably be registered with the Miniature Dairy Goat Association or a similar organization since they are mini-manchas. If I could get her to email me back, I could ask and see if the registry will help me out. I am tempted to try calling the original breeder of my does and see if they have any information that would help me.

4. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I unfortunatley learned this the hard way...I got a goat that I could "get" papers on, I knew it was registerable and the breeder said she would no problem. I told her I wouldnt take her if I wasnt going to get papers, she assured me it was no problem, she was my friend so the goat came home. I called and bugged, even called every half hour one day and was avoided and mislead until the bitter end! A year later I gave up and found the doe a good pet home, she was a pretty girl too I was really bummed.

I wont ever buy a "papered" goat again without papers in hand before I leave.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    ADGA and AGS will help you but not sure about the mini dairy type but depending on if they are Standard type or not she should take the 5 minutes to fill out the papers and send them to you...it dont take that long and I would send her a registered letter..cost about 3 dollars and you get that green card as she has to sign it when she gets it. Also so email has a thing where you know when they open the emails also. I would bug the tar out of her till she finally gives up and lets you have them. Does she live far from you? or close...sounds like a road trip to me and sit on her doorstep till I got my papers...

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    She lives about two hours away from me, so I don't want to drive there unless I really have to. I'll keep bugging her and hope to get some results. If I don't hear from her today or tomorrow, maybe I should start emailing every day...

7. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Emails are easy to delete - it's harder to ignore someone knocking on your door. Even tho she is 2 hours away if the papers need to be had it is worth the trip.

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It doesn't sound good at this point. I sure hope she comes through and provides what was promised for you. It is a good lesson for others to learn .... have the papers in hand before leaving the property.

Good luck.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Yes, unless you *really* know the person (or you don't give a ding dang darn about papers) don't leave without them.

The only time I don't send papers/apps with a purchaser is if they write a check. Then I don't send them out until the check clears...

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Wow I didn't even know it was possible to register mini lamanchas. They aren't recognized byt the AGS or ADGA are they?

I just learned by the way the Nigerian's are not recognized as dairy goats by the ADGA, apparently I was reading old material.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by