Trying to get ready for winter and have some questions

Buxton Ducks

Songster
10 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Buxton, Maine
I have a very unique situation this winter: Last winter one of my roos got bad frostbite and I would like to avoid that this year. I have searched on here and found that moisture is the problem. I have a 8 by 8 wood shed that I installed 3 more windows in for summer air flow. I plan on installing a couple vents for winter but am worried about the breeds I got this spring. I have a frizzle roo, 3 silkies, and 5 naked necks that I got this spring. Are they going to be okay with a breezy coop, I have heard that they are not very cold tolerant. I noticed how much cleaner the coop has stayed this summer with air flow and would like to accomplish that this winter without making it uncomfortable for my feathered buddies. I know there is a lot of posts on this topic but am having a hard time finding the right answer for my situation. I live in Maine and the next couple nights are already getting down to the high thirties. Thanks everyone!

Not breezy, but ventilated to keep the moisture down in winter. I my mind, a vent high in the coop will allow the moist air to rise. There needs to be an inlet down lower to supply air.

I understand frostbite is from too moist air and the cold. I doubt the cold will hurt most chickens, but the moisture sets them up for frostbite.

Chris

Given the "tender" nature of the breeds you mentioned, you might consider the vents for air flow but also perhaps giving them a huddle box within the coop - basically a sheltered area inside the coop (sort of a box with an opening or a side open away from the vents/airflow) to give them a smaller space to keep warm with body heat. Might help keep them warmer while still allowing for good air flow.

Thanks guys, I was bored last night and put in the vents! I got floor vents from home depot and put 2 on each side and one on the front door. I was nice and dry in there this morning so I think this will work nicely. I really appreciate the advice, I will make the huddle box with plywood tomorrow.

I have frizzles and silkies and agree in cold weather they need a huddle box. I just use medium sized plastic dog crates and remove the door. I fill bottom with shavings and line the edges with straw to make a wall of sorts.

Every few days I pull out the straw and the shavings and replace them with fresh.

Thanks guys, I was bored last night and put in the vents! I got floor vents from home depot and put 2 on each side and one on the front door. I was nice and dry in there this morning so I think this will work nicely. I really appreciate the advice, I will make the huddle box with plywood tomorrow.

I love the sign!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom