1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to get them use to me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Redhead Hen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I have been trying to hold each one of my 6 chicks at least once a day so they will become use to me. They are about 2 weeks old (almost). I also go down and sit next to the brooder so they realize that I will not always try to pick them up. Of course they all run from my hand every time!

What I have noticed that some of them are fine with being held/sitting on my lap. They will nestle down and nap. But some will just stand there and peep ... LOUD! Has anyone else had this reaction? And if so, did the chicks finally get use to you? I totally understand that each chicken has it's own personality and some just don't want to be that close to you. I was just hoping that they would not be scared of me!

I have tried to offer them yogurt so they don't run from my hand every time I need to reach in the brooder. But they did not want anything to do with it! I left it in there for them too - they just ignored it. What else is safe to offer?

Thanks!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I had that too, they were fine at first then my orpington and wyandotte went skiddish. My australorp didn't mind any attention though. For me they were skiddish until they started to squat and now do not run as often from me and will tolerate being held.
    The peeping may be because they cannot see the other chicks, thats what mine did.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you might try dry cereal crumbs- also, wet some of the feed and put it in your hand and they will learn you are a friend... i discovered recently they love warm baths, i have given my banties a warm bath, and then snuggle them in a towel on my lap, they are so relaxed and suddenly i am their best friend....

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Babytalk. Try a sing-song voice just keep picking them up and show them how truly sweet and gentle you are.

5. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Quote:My husband goes down there and peeps at them! They usually look at him like he is nuts! [​IMG]

6. Redhead Hen

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I will try the wet feed tomorrow. That seems like a good idea! Hopefully they will too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by