Trying to give the Roo another chance..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Momagain1, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    we've done it all...
    holding upside down...
    walking around w/him upside down...
    pushed him to the ground until he lays there after we've let go...
    thumped him..
    rumped kicked him...
    walked him into corners etc...

(NO not all at one time..)...

but he is picking his targets..he wont attack me anymore...I got him w/the rake..it was the only thing handy after rump kicking him
    didnt do anything but expedite his aggressiveness in the 'fight" to me...

he does it occasionally to my 13 yr old son..but he goes and picks him up and walks him upside down around for a while...

the 7 yr old went out to collect eggs like normal....henhouse was empty...he came in and attacked her into a corner..she screamed bloody murder
    we ran out there and he was jumnping up and kicking her..she was kicking back and screaming..hubby got the roo while i got her...
    the other kid got the eggs...he NEVER comes in the henhouse when we collect eggs...til today...

Is there ANYTHING else we can try before butchering him???? He is my sons prized chicken...he is going to be devastated...

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have always found that fighting them back when they attack encourages them to keep attacking you to bring you down. I've always eaten them when they get to this point, wish I could help. If you are determined to keep him, you could make him his own little coop and run for the safety of your family.

3. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    sounds like he needs a trip to freezer camp.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

As you've probably found out by now....a seven year old girl and a roo alone is probably not ideal. Having said that, I used to go around my granny's chickens and roos when I was that age without any problems.

It has a lot to do with attitude and keeping a cool head when attacked~as any roo can attack for any reason and to anyone on any given day, even if he has never done so before or will ever do it again. Most 7 year old girls aren't too good at keeping their cool and knowing what to do in the face of an aggressive roo attack....heck, I don't know if my teen boys would! Every time they had to hold a chicken for me and it started flapping, they would get nervous and lose their cool! [​IMG]

The only thing I've found that will prevent attacks is being vigilant and also never letting a roo relax in your presence. Keep HIM nervous of all humans...this could be done with making a lunge and stamping the ground loudly when he draws near~EVERY TIME~so that he runs in the opposite direction. Carrying a long, lightweight staff and touching him on the back and shoulders every time he comes in the coop/hen house until he is driven to leave. Occasionally surprise him when he enters the pop door with a loud smack on the wall next to the entrance so that he wants to avoid coming in the hen house when he knows any humans are in there.

Train your children of all ages to do the same, carry a nice roo stick when they go into the hen yard or roo vicinity and react calmly when he approaches~then WHAMMO! with the stick. If you have done all of the above, it's likely he won't even bother approaching any human, little or big. But...I'd still not send your little girl to gather eggs anymore until both roo and child are sufficiently trained in who is higher on the food chain.

If your roo won't train, no amount of son's sadness would persuade me to keep him....it could mean the difference in a child who has been blinded by a claw or spur or one who has not.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think sparring with them encourages them to keep fighting, though I do understand (especially with children) that under those circumstances ones first response is to defend themselves. I use the holding to the ground method. Them simply ceasing to struggle isn't enough. I use my fingers to "peck" them while I have them down, or sometimes my other chickens will come over and do the pecking for me. And I do this EVERY time I can get my hands on the offender (whether it be while they're doing something ornery or behaving). Usually, after a week or so they realize "whoa, here comes that REALLY big REALLY cranky rooster. Better get away from that sucker!". Sometimes it takes a while longer, sometimes they catch on quickly. I don't like having to do it, but its better than being flogged or walking around the yard with a rake. Good luck!

6. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    It sounds like you've done more than many people would do to curb this roo's aggressive behavior. By giving the roo another chance to be less aggressive, you're also giving him another chance at your daughter...... It's a hard decision for you now, especially since it's your son's prized chicken. The decision will become much easier if you have to make it in the emergency room.

7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    If you can't stand the idea of getting rid of him, please give him his own pen and give your son total care of him, and don't let him free range. Period. It's not fair to your daughter to have an unpredictable critter who could attack her at any time. That is teaching her that her fears don't matter, as long as brother gets what he wants. Believe me, that is the message she will get. I was attacked by a mean old roo when I was about 4 years old. It has taken me over 50 years to get over my fear of roosters.

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I would opt for a run for the roo if it was something my kid wanted to keep.Dog crate in the least. If it actually hurt my child I would probably get rid of it ,and reassure my kids that we can try again with a new roo. Right now our roo is good(Jack Sparrow),but if he goes Jackie Chan on either of the kids he is moving! If he hurts them bad then off with the head.

9. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

My rooster Allister took a swipe at my nephew today. I was about eight feet away walking the dog and he jumped up trying to use his spurs to hurt him, luckily they have not grown in yet. That rooster got a nice swift kick to the butt and took off in the other direction. He is slowly assuring his trip to freezer camp with the next batch if that happens again.

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by