Trying to go broody right away?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by classicsredone, Jul 21, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    One of my girls, Millie, just recently started laying. Right from the bat, she started stealing any real or fake eggs for "her" nest box. We are home during the day and check the boxes often, and she gets mad when you take the eggs away. If you take the egg she's laying on, she looks around for another and will go lay on any egg she finds. We took away the fake eggs, check for eggs every hour or two, but she keeps at it. She'll growl and huff and puff, and wander down to the run after a bit. Is it normal to have a Barred Rock act like that right off the bat? Is there anything else I can do to discourage her? I wouldn't mind, but we have no roo and don't need more chicks.

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Some birds are just very prone to going broody and that's it. Even breeds that aren't normally known for broodiness. There was someone on the forum recently had a White Leghorn go broody and hatch out chicks, and that's just about unheard of. I don't think you can predict it in any bird, apart from in Silkie and Cochins who go broody at the drop of a hat. And I don't think you can prevent it either. I think Rocks are supposed to be good mothers, so your bird is probably normal enough. I've got a bird sitting on eggs right now and she's only been laying for a couple of months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by