Trying to hatch mallard duck eggs !!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by garagegirl, Oct 22, 2013.

1. garagegirl

garagegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Hi there I have been trying to hatch some mallard eggs to no avail. I have an incubator I keep them in there until about 25 days and then take them out put them in a box with a heat lamp and a bowel off water to keep it humid and keep the temp at 99.5.

But nothing hatches, there is a baby duck in there because I candle them to make sure my last three eggs I had in the box two of them started to get a little peck hole like they were going to do something put nothing. After 30 days I cracked one open the baby was formed.

So the only thing I can figure is the humity isn't right.
    If I keep the eggs in the incubator which has an auotmatic turner will they be able to hatch in there?

I have read duck eggs are just as easy to hatch as chicken eggs. I have found this not true I have hatched many many chicken eggs with no problems.

If anyone has any insight that would be very very helpfull.
    I do have the mom and dad put mom dont really sit on the eggs.
    Right now I have a chicken sitting one one of the duck nests. I am hoping she can hatch them since I am unable to. Thanks again for any advice.

2. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Will I have not tried to hatch any out but i do know that if you have a hen sit on duck eggs you will have to dip the hen every day in luke warm water to keep the humidly right.

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have TWO METHODS posted on my website that should be able to help you with Hatching Ducks, these Methods have worked for me in hatching out Call ducks. If you have done any research most will say "call ducks are hard to hatch".

NEVER heard about the Dipping eggs into warm water?

Try One of my two Methods, see if your hatchings don't improve. With Method 2 (Lazy Method), I have another due to hatch this weekend..

I can tell you the Heat Lamp and bowl of water? Not the best idea.. sorry

My website is www.lwbarnhouse.com, Put your Mouse over the Duck tab and there you should see TWO Methods... Read thru both and pick and choose one and Let me know how it ends up.

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Ok cool i found it with looking in the mallards and found your website thanks....

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I see my SEcond method didn't upload, GRRRR, I will try again tonight, I have a much Easier and Lazier way of hatching out ducks. GRRR Don't know why that didn't get uploaded, I was up until 5:30 trying to get it done.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    So check back at my website later on today, I think youll like the second method a lot better..

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I"M WRONG, my second method is there, only you have to actually click on the Duck tab. GRRR, I'll have to fix that, so click on the Duck tab and you will see TWO Methods. Sorry..

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Im in the process of updating my website adding another page to add meaning to some of the words.

9. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Hey Garagegirl! Sorry to hear that your ducks didn't hatch :(
    On day 25, it is considered "Lock-down" and this is one of the most crucial parts of the hatching. You should not be handling, candling, or turning the eggs. Humidity should be up (as you did), but it might have been better to leave the eggs in the incubator. When I hatched my ducks (Mallards, too!), I got a spray bottle and misted the incubator twice a day after lock-down to keep humidity up. Hope you have better luck next time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by