Trying to help a chicken. **RANT**

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by quintinp, Dec 12, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, it all started when a boy came to my front door telling me that there was a chicken running around loose, a couple blocks away from my house. He said, that he thought it was my chicken, because I was the only person in my area that he knew had chickens. Well he took me to where the chicken was, and I saw that the chicken wasn't mine. The boy just remembers at this time that the neighbors that owned the chicken that were a couple houses away, had just got chickens. Well, I told the kid to go to the house that he thought owned the chicken, and tell them that there chicken was out of their yard. Well, a few days later while riding the school bus I passed by the house the boy took me too that had this chicken. It was snowing outside, and the chicken was standing under a tree not in it's owners yard. Well that same day after school I went to the house to see if the chicken was still there, and It wasn't, so I just thought that the owners had got the chicken back in an enclosure from the cold and snow. Well I never saw the chicken again on the school bus, but for a few days later I would go to see if the chicken was out. It wasn't running around loose, so I didn't go back to the house. Well, this morning while riding the bus, I saw the chicken again. I went to this trailer house, that the chicken was at, and I see this chicken again. Well as I am walking up to this house a man in a white car pulls into the yard. I talk to the man and ask him if the chicken is his, and if it had a home. He says it isn't his, and that it is his sister's chicken. He tells me she is inside the house. I go to the front porch, and knock on the door, and this 3-4 year old answers the door in his underwear, and the house on the inside is a mess. I ask the boy where his parents are, and his mom and dad walk to the door, and I tell them I have been seeing the chicken for a while, and say that I have chickens and a coop, and that I would take the chicken and even pay for it (because it apparently doesn't have a home.) The woman tells me that the chicken is her son's, that her sister gave it to him. The father of the child was nice, he even said that his girlfriend's sister probably had more roosters, and that I could buy one from her. I say no thank you, that I had been seeing that rooster roaming around and was wondering if I could take it off of there hands. And the woman says no (politely). I say bye, and walk off of the porch. The man I talked to first says to me as I am walking away "and don't steal it either." I turn around and tell him that I am not going to steal it. These people live in a trashy trailer house, no fence, a chicken they could care less about, and this crazed pitbull that has a reputation for being mean.(By the way I own two pitbulls, and I am not against pit bulls) I am wearing a nice pair of blue jeans, and a Carhart jacket, clean hair, not nappy. I don't look like a punk teenager. I thought I looked fairly nice. And this man wants to tell me to not STEAL this chicken. I was so mad as I was walking home.

Could you people tell me anything about the situation that may be helpful, because I know that this chicken probably won't last in IT's situation.

2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    It sounds like you did everything that you could. Roosters are hardy birds. This one might do well for years living like he is. They must be feeding him or it would have taken off from there since it was new to the property.
    You handled yourself really well and went out of your way to help the bird. Now, you have to let your worries for him go and hope for the best for the roo.

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I brought food over to the yard one day for the chicken, but I guess I will have to forget. I will hate to see this rooster ran over.

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    That's rude! I'm sure you didn't look like you were going to steal it!! You did the right thing though.

Keep an eye on it and keep us updated! [​IMG]

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:I didn't need this chicken either, I have nice purebred flocks now, I didn't need this mutt banty rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by