Trying to help some crippled SnowFlakes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by buckmaster71, Feb 12, 2012.

1. buckmaster71

buckmaster71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    I've got 2 Snowflake Bobs that were born with 1 of there legs growing backwards.The leg goes up and bends over the back towards the head.They cant feed or water on there own.I have to hold them up while they drink and eat.Ones about a month old and the other is a couple weeks.They cant be with other birds cause the leg is always being picked at.I've got a couple birds with one leg that get around just fine.My question is "Can the leg be amputated safely or can anyone give me any advice about what to do for these 2 young Snowflakes?"

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Leg issues is usually an incubation problem, humidity or temp was not correct in the incubator. I am not sure there is anything you can do, although you can put some liquid vitamins in the water to maybe help strengthen the legs. I am sorry about your babies.

3. buckmaster71

buckmaster71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    Both of the chicks actually hatched out a day or two later than the rest in the batch but I try to make sure they all get a chance to hatch out.Maybe I shouldn't wait to see if any hatch late.What do you think?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Give them all a chance hatch. But don't help any of them out of the egg. They need to push themselves out for good health. And if they are not coming out, there is a good reason for it. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by