Trying to identify the breed of this chick. Any help would be great!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by starlight, Apr 1, 2011.

1. starlight

starlight New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    We purchased this chick at Tractor Supply, as one of 6. Three of them were straight-run Cornish Rocks; 3 were 'pullets'. Two of the 'pullets' I have since identified as Isa Browns; however, this third one has me baffled. At first, it was almost identical to the Cornish Rocks; however, in the last few days, it has gotten black markings on its wing feathers, and has begun to get feathers on its lower legs and feet. According to the bin she was picked from, they could be any of the following breeds: Isa Brown, Rhode Island Red, Black Sex Link, or Barred Rock. However, I've done countless searches, looking for photos of these breeds as chicks, and she looks NOTHING like any of them. I hope the following photos help; if they're not enough, please let me know what else could help, and I'll be happy to oblige. It's not imperative that I know what breed (I already think she's beautiful, no matter what!), but it'd be nice to know. [Also, please forgive me, as I'm new to the forum, and am not sure how to post photos. Let's hope this works!]

This chick is approximately 10 days old in these photos (we bought them a week ago), and I also should note that her coloring is far more yellow than she appears in these photos; the flash made her seem white, but without the flash, I couldn't get a good clear photo. She doesn't seem to want to be photographed, but I was mostly looking to show her wing markings, and the feathers coming in on her feet.
    [​IMG]

A better shot of the feet:
    [​IMG]

And a wonderful shot of her wings:
    [​IMG]

One more; this is just a shot of all the chicks, for comparison on her coloring. Yes, she's a little lighter yellow than the Cornish Rocks, but not white [she's the one to the far upper left, right by the Isa Brown in the corner]. This one was taken two days ago [at approximately 8 days old]:
    [​IMG]

The pictures seem to be coming through much larger than expected, but maybe that's a good thing. Again, if anyone could help (even just to tell me that yes, she could still be one of the above-named breeds), I would appreciate it. [​IMG]

2. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I'm seeing feathers on her feet! That would point me towards Light Brahma????

3. starlight

starlight New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    Ooooh, I do believe you're right. [​IMG] I did a Google search, and found lots of photos that look almost identical to her. Thank you sooooo much!!

4. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    I also thought light brahma.... although your ISA browns look nothing like mine they look dark brown rather than pale yellow with golde/yellow wings. Yours look almost the same as my partridge rock did at that age. In any case should all be good-great layers!

5. Alexis

Alexis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Very cute chicks! I immediately noticed the feathered feet as well. However, all my light brahma chicks have always had quite a bit of soft fuzzy grey on most of their bodies, with yellow heads, not allover light colored like that. (You can see one of mine on my member page "Chicks"). Everything else about it looks like a brahma though, but it most certainly is NOT one of the other breeds listed on the bin! She doesn't have any extra toes does she?

Whatever they are, lady feathers is right - you'll have great egg layers.

6. starlight

starlight New Egg

Mar 28, 2011
    To lady feathers: Yeah, most of the photos I found of the ISA browns did look a bit lighter than mine; I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong about those, too. LOL

To Alexis: All of your chicks are soooo adorable. No, as far as I've noticed, no extra toes. She does have a bit of grey mixed in with the yellow, but it IS all light. The guess of light brahma is good enough for now. I'll watch her as she grows, to see if she begins developing characteristics of another breed. [​IMG]

Thank you all for your input -- as I said, it's not imperative to know the breeds [good/great egg layers is the most important thing I'm looking for], but it's good to have an idea, anyway. I feel kind of dumb answering the question, "What breed are they?" with: "Well, gee, I don't know. We just got the ones that the salesgirl picked up." LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by