trying to identify what's going on with this sweet girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fvc24, Mar 27, 2015.

1. fvc24

fvc24 New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Pahrump Nevada
    Hello all I recently acquired this chicken and am trying to figure out what's going on with her. She has a lot of missing feathers she had a ton of mites her legs are both swollen she has a knot on her jaw and she has a black spot on her leg.her apitite is good she has no spots in her mouth and poos look normal. No idea how old she is or any history on her. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance :) posted a few pics of her issues

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pictures of her problems will help. Leg mites are treated with taking an old toothbrush and warm soapy water, and gently scrubbing the legs once a week. Then dry them, and apply castor oil, vegetable oil, or vaseline to the legs and feet rubbing the oil under the scales. After a few weeks the new scales will start to grow.

3. fvc24

fvc24 New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Pahrump Nevada
    I posted pics but don't know where they went :-/ I will try to post them again. she didn't have leg scale mites she was infested with I believe red mites but took care of that already :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by