Trying to Lay???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momtofive86, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Momtofive86

Momtofive86 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    I have a 5 1/2 month old Ameracauna hen. For the past 3 hours or so she has been making mournful sounds and staying in the coop pacing back and forth. She started out making loud squawks but is much quieter mow. She is moving the straw around and every now and then let's out what almost sounds like a bark. Is she getting ready to lay? I have three hens all the same age and so far none of them have laid an egg. She sounds miserable! When the other two hens come into the coop she runs them out.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if she is getting ready to lay. Any progress ?

3. Momtofive86

Momtofive86 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    Not that I can tell. She is NOT happy when the other hens come in to the coop. She sounds pathetic. It's been close to 4 hours.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They can be a real PITA near onset of lay...crabby and LOUD!
    Could be a few days, so don't be counting hours ;)

5. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Agree there they can take their own sweet time but wait eggs??????

6. Momtofive86

Momtofive86 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    Well she is seriously guarding the coop and so, so grumpy. She acts frantic at times and wants outside to free range. I let the three of them out yesterday and she kept hopping up on the arm of the chair I was sitting in. She has NEVER done that before. I would just pet her for awhile and then she would hop down. She is not as noisy today but still grouchy and pacing around the coop. She has rearranged the hay a few times but otherwise all is well. I thought they quit laying as soon as the days got shorter but this would be her first time. Here in Nor Cal it is still pretty warm and bright sunshine all day long.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The shorter days do not always impede onset of lay in a pullet.

8. Momplus1

Momplus1 Songster

May 31, 2019
    Moore County, NC

I have a pullet that is almost 22 weeks old and just started laying about 3 weeks ago. The minimal daylight hasn't seemed to bother her. I do have 4 other pullets that are the same age as my new layer, and they haven't started laying. I don't have much experience at all, but so far, I've found that they're going to do whatever they're going to do and it varies bird to bird. I do recall Sue, my new layer, sounding loud and pitiful for a few days before she laid her first egg. She is only grumpy about the nesting box during the day. Another one of my pullets sleeps in the preferred nesting box (the 5 girls have 3 nesting boxes to choose from but she chose the same one that I've allowed Izzy to continue this terrible habit of sleeping in at night) and Sue doesn't care at night. Hopefully she'll surprise you with an egg soon! Best wishes!

9. Momtofive86

Momtofive86 Chirping

Jul 2, 2019
    Thanks for all the good info! Hopefully we will have an egg soon!

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have two 24 week olds......they look plenty red, but still tight pelvises and no eggs for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: