Trying to learn to feather sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heby, Mar 19, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm not sure how to do it but Ive been looking at some pics. Here are two pics that I took & was wondering if someone can tell what sex they are.[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Females are suppose to have longer ones then males which i dont think works since i hatched out 16 chicks and feather sexing saids i have 3 males.

3. Kassyc88

Kassyc88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I feather sex all my chicks and so far have been 100% right I watched a video on YouTube. A female will have two layers of feathers one being longer than the other. Males will just have one layer of feathers. It's hard to sex them too early though, they need at least 5-7 days for the females feathers to really start the second layer. Hope this helps! Here is the video!

4. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you. I will try to look again tomorrow. They were born Monday so they will be about 4 days old. It seems like their wing feathers have grown double overnight when I checked today. They are getting long. :)

5. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    [​IMG]
    Not all breeds can be feather sexed. Females should have uneven wing feathers(like picture #1), and males are even(like picture #2). You need to do it between days 1-3, and it's not 100% accurate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by