Trying to live a simpler life

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by -Kayla, Jun 28, 2016.

1. -Kayla

-Kayla Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Westmoreland County
    Hi,
    I joined this community in order to share pictures of my kids with their chickens become a better chicken keeper. I grew up helping my grandmother with her mixed flock of chickens, ducks, and noisy guinea fowl. She taught me how to kill and pluck a chicken around the same time I learned to tie my shoes. Fast forward 30 years... I am interested in learning about using herbs for chicken health, organic feed, fermenting feed, and growing fodder. My end goal is to raise two healthy boys by feeding them healthier dippy eggs, soup, and chicken meat. It's a bonus that they love and have fun with their new pets.
    Thank goodness yinz love chicken pictures!
    -Kayla
    [​IMG]
    ABOVE: Our 10 hens and 1 bonus chick (of course it's a rooster) purchased as chicks from Murray McMurray as part of the "Meat and Egg" combo. From the top- Berry (silver spangled hamburg rooster), Agent Gray (blue cochin), Jumpy and Lumpy (barred rocks), Iceburgh (black cochin), Genevieve (spangled hamburg), Snow Tiger (silver polish), Cashew and Lulu (Buff something-or-others), Priscilla (white polish), Peanut (Welsummer?).
    NOT Pictured: 3 black Australorps (Truffles, Coco, Cheetah); 3 White Rock Roosters (only keeping MOFO the other two are waiting in chicken jail and will be soup for my 6 year old) They were purchased from Rural King because I had everything ready two months before my chicks were coming from Murray McMurray. We call those our "practice chickens" because they were free and I wasn't sure if they would survive the constant "LOVE" of my 3 year old.

BELOW: Two of our Jumbo Cornish X Rocks from the above mentioned combo. In the center is a 5.6lb store bought chicken, for size comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My three year old kisses his chickens good night every day.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Cute chicks - including the blonde!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Kalya and welcome to BYC - I hope that enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    Ct

4. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Kayla. Have to say I love the photo of the young blond cockerel (your son) the best. :)

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. -Kayla

Apr 18, 2016
    Westmoreland County
    Thank you!
    -Kayla

9. -Kayla

Apr 18, 2016
    Westmoreland County
    Thank you!
    -Kayla

10. -Kayla

Apr 18, 2016
    Westmoreland County
    Thanks for the link and the warm welcome. I'm thinking I'll try fermenting feed after I finish the chicken run; one thing at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by