Trying to make a new breed, anyone got stories/ pictures?

9SpiceyChickens

Free Ranging
Jul 24, 2018
In the coop, Northern CA
I am in the process of making a new chicken breed. I realize it can take a long time but, I´m trying to make a-
1.) Double Golden Laced main breed color
2.) Pea comb with smaller wattles for less frostbite
3.) Heat resistant it is hot in North CA!
4.) Calm and friendly
5.) Often broody
6.) Large dark brown eggs

Name of breed- Jazmontte
(Jazz- mom-tea)

Does anyone have tips for making a breed like this? I know it is unrealistic almost but I am up to putting time and effort into this breed. I am starting of with a double laced golden wyandotte hen. What would be a good rooster? Do you have any tips? Is this too unrealistic? How long do you think this would take? Thanks in advance for any help!

Make a rose comb Barnevelder, or double laced gold Wyandotte. Depending which body type you want you'd work toward one breed or other. Would take many generations and test matings to weed out the single comb recessive.

If you really wanted a pea comb then use a Barnevelder and Chantecler. Cross those then breed the F1 together. You'll have the pea comb and double laced pattern in that F2 generation. Again single comb sports would pop up for many generations.

1.) Double Golden Laced main breed color
2.) Pea comb with smaller wattles for less frostbite
3.) Heat resistant it is hot in North CA!
...!
The color would be the last thing I would focus on. Build the house - then paint it.

It seems to me that #s 2 and 3 are nearly mutually exclusive. Lots of exposed comb is one of the contributors to heat hardiness.
Is N. CA an area prone to frostbite?

Propensity to be setters and especially the dark egg may be the toughest nuts to crack.

I see that you realize it will take a long time but you probably still underestimate.
It will take years to gather most of those characteristics into one group of animals and years again to make them reliably repeatable.
Perhaps it would be easier to develop a double golden laced variety in an existing breed already possessing most of the other characteristics.

Last edited:
You don't even need to start with double laced. It would take more hatching to capture but could use a partridge over your gold laced then mate the offspring together. So for pea comb there is Partridge Brahma and Chantecler I can think of. If you stick with Rose comb then use partridge Wyandotte.

That would be a worthwhile and fun project. Gold Double Laced Wyandotte.

True but personal choice is a big factor and most chickens are hardy and adapt to most climates.

Here in Northern Vermont I should have a Rose or Pea comb breed but like the clean look of the single comb which causes the cock birds to lose tine tips due to frost. Certainly couldn't raise Mediterranean breeds here without supplemental heat in winter.

I keep thinking about the double laced. I do like that pattern and can foresee a project for Plymouth Rocks in my flocks future.

So much to do with the one variety I'm working on now. It will be a few years yet but think a well laced Silver Wyandotte will join my flock then. Need better conformity and body type of the Silver Pencilled first.

So much to do with the one variety I'm working on now. It will be a few years yet but think a well laced Silver Wyandotte will join my flock then. Need better conformity and body type of the Silver Pencilled first.
So your essentially trying to run your own line of Silver Penciled Rocks, or you can't find any good breeders for that breed? I've been working on the Partridge Rock for some time but can't seem to get the shanks right. May have to use Barny??

I have Silver Pencilled now. Getting back yellow shanks. Original hens had far too much dark wash and somehow when selecting last years sire missed the fact he had pale legs. It's been a journey with many errors and some luck on my end.

If you get a hold of a Silver Pencilled hen with good legs you can put your Partridge cock over her for Partridge pullets. Should help your shank problem. Hatch, hatch and hatch until you gleen the kernels from the chaff.

Back
Top Bottom