trying to match my hen to her egg?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hurley farms, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Hurley farms

Hurley farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2014
    middle Tennessee
    I need help!!! I am having trouble finding my hen for my egg?!?![​IMG]

2. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Which egg? What kind of hens do you have?

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

If you tell us the breeds of your hens, we'll have a better idea as to which egg each one is laying.

4. Hurley farms

Dec 2, 2014
    middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

We have lots of different breeds! We have 2 Ameraucanas or Easter eggers, 1 Spitzhauben, 2 Austalorps, 2 Barred Rock, 1 Buff 2 Black and 1 Gold laced Cochin. 2 Gold Sex Links 2 Leghorn. and 1 Polish hen.
    forgive me for the spelling!

We are getting between 11 and 15 eggs a day. My hens are all 6 months old. and going great!! This is our first try at chickens and we are hooked!!!!

Thank you for you help!!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  5. Hurley farms

Dec 2, 2014
    middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

I feel like i am missing a few like we have 2 Polish hens not 1. and we have 2 Plymouth rock......

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Are the eggs in the bucket one day's production? Not bad but they don't quite add up, You are missing 2 white and 1 green. That would give you 18 hens total. You have 5 white egg layers, 2 green (should be) and 10 brown. 17 total right? Getting 11--15 eggs a day is very respectable. The only way to know who's egg is who's when you have multiple lays of the same colored egg is it sit outside the coop and when a hen hops out of the box and starts squaking, go collect the egg. Make a note of her egg. It will for the most part look the same day in day out. In my experience, my cochins lay a smaller egg than the rest, the BRs lay a "perfect" brown egg (it's round, well shaped, good even color), leghorns lay the larger whites, EE can lay brown but you have 2 different greens so that would indicate both are green layers. Those are the only birds we have in common. You just have to do some detective work to figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hurley farms

Dec 2, 2014
    middle Tennessee
    the bucket is from a day and a half if that makes sense. The carton is just to show contrast of color. I forgot our 2 Welsummer. I did not do a good count of my chickens before I started this.. Forgive Me.[​IMG]
    This is one day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by