Trying to mate @ 2 1/2 months????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_in_Indiana, May 18, 2008.

1. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    I have a little frizzle roo that has been crowing like he's big stuff since he was 6 weeks. Last night I was out in the yard working and I see him chasing a little polish grabbing her neck feathers as he goes. So I thought he was just being mean. A little while after that he goes after a orp then later an another. He has never been mean before so now I am thinking he's trying to figure out the whole mating process. The other roos I have raised werent interested in that sort thing until they were about 8 or 9 months.
    Has anyone else gone thru this?
    Did the roo grow up really sexually aggresive?
    Thanks for any info [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is perfectly normal. Cockerals try to mate long before a pullet is ready to lay eggs. 2.5 - 3 months is when they get randy as a billy goat.

If you have a roo that never tried to mate before 8 - 9 months I have to say you just never saw it before then. If a roo did not try at all to mate before that age I would be seriously worried about what was wrong with him.

Some cockerals may not be fertile until 6 - 8 months but they do try to mate. Fertility has nothing to do with mating behavior.

3. Chick_in_Indiana

Chick_in_Indiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    NE Indiana
    Thanks so much Miss Prissy. Your knowledge is always appreciated:)

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I distinctly recall my black Ameraucana cockerel, Scout, attempting to mate my Speckled Sussex, Nelda, repeatedly when he was 8 weeks old. Surprised me, but since I saw him do this several times, and do a pretty good imitation of the real thing, I know what it was for sure. Nelda was not amused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by