Trying to outsmart a chicken, need advice

GardenGal

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
Western WA
O wise and experienced BYCers, I'm not sure if this will work - here's the situation:

Our lead hen, a real sweetie, was unwell for a couple days, and now a hen who was really good when she was low in the ranks, has turned out to be mean toward her former leader. I'm wondering if this will work:

If I quarantine Miss Nasty for a few days will she go back to being on the bottom, and is a few days enough time? Will it even work?

Thanks! Rebekah

Quote:
That's exactly what I would do. Otherwise, your lead hen will have to struggle her way back to the top-she did it once, why should she have to do it again just because she was "on the bench" for a couple of days?

Thanks! Right now Miss Nasty is with a rooster who will be leaving next week, so I'll wait to try it when he leaves. Would two days do it?

Yeah thats what I would have done too, not sure how long but taking her away would probably put her in her place enough to stop her attitude...Fingers crossed for you.

Yes, Miss Nasty needs a time out. An "attitude check" while in solitary confinement, if you will.
wink.png

I had a similar problem a few years ago when my head hen Betty, a light Brahma, was very, very sick. It was a week of touch and go, and I thought I was going to lose her, but Betty pulled through.

Meanwhile, Lilith, a SLW, quickly assumed the lead position. When I restored Betty to the run, Lilith immediately tried to attack her, defending her new status. Betty was very weak, and not in any condition to take on Lilith, so I decided to give Betty a little support.

I found a pooper scoop that I'd fashioned at the end of a long handle. I stood ready. When Lilith noticed Betty had again returned, she again rushed Betty, intending to thrash her down to number two. Just before Lilith made contact, I thrust the scooper in between her and her target. Lilith smashed into the scooper, stopped dead in her tracks.

As I recall, Lilith may have tried one more time, with the same thing happening. That's all it took. Lilith gave up and went back to being number two. While she would occasionally give Betty the stink eye, she left her alone.

I think, why mess with nature. If a new hen is going to be the new leader, then let it be. the old leader no longer deserves the first place slot, at least in the world of chickens. But...I do think if it was one of my favorites, than I would have a hard time not backing her up to the top. lol

Back
Top Bottom