Trying to pick a dairy goat breed

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
I'm waffling between Nigerian dwarf goats and angora (for milk and fiber). Nubians are also on the short list. Have any of you had any experience with these breeds? I am looking for a good milker with a calm, easy-going personality. My nieces will likely be helping me so I want goats that they can work around easily. I am also looking for a fairly hardy breed.

Thoughts?

I like the Nigerians..sweet little things.
I also had an Alpine... he was a hoot. But MUCH bigger than a Nigerian..

Quote:
Just make sure you get a bottle baby... those are the most friendly ones. And if you can... bottle feed it yourself.(i think that makes a big difference).. its awesome. They are just like little pups that will follow you around.

LOL..i quoted myself.. oops..
lol.png

Last edited:
Nubians! I have them and I think they are great. Lots of milk and babies. Great personalities. I have been adding some Kiko blood to add worm resistance and better mothering skills. I have some wonderful goats.:)

Quote:
Maybe 80 lbs?? He was a wether though..and so very sweet..
I'll see if i can find a pic of him..

Last edited:
As a baby..

2008_05110048.jpg

Him and my pygmy hanging out with the critters

2008_10170033.jpg

2008_12200018.jpg

you can see how much taller he is than say a pygmy goat here...

2008_12200014.jpg

So pretty big..but super super gentle. He was a bottle baby though....

Last edited:
Nigeria vs angora vs nubians??? I think that you need to first decide if you want a full sized goat or not. Then decide if you want milk or wool? While I'm sure that you could milk an angora, I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

If you going for milk, you might want to consider one of the breeds that is produced from crossing pygmies or nigerians with full sized goats. Breeds like the Kinder give you a goat that's smaller in statue, but still give the benefit of both breeds. (Like lots of milk.)

You might also want to look around locally to see what breeds are present. Most people don't want to drive hundreds of miles to get a specific breed and then drive back to get a buck or breed your doe.

Good luck and make sure to build good fences. If you don't, then kiss your rose bushes goodbye.
lol.png

Awww... y'all are killing me with the cute goat pics! Thanks for sharing!!

Hot2pot- how big are your Nubians? How easy are they to handle for routine goat maintainence and for milking? Are they mellow enough for a child to work with? How much milk do they give (average)? Do you also keep a buck around or do you AI?

Redhen- do you still have your goat? Did you only have the one or did you also have does? Between your pygmy and your alpine which was easier to handle?

Melody- I don't know whether I want a full size goat or pygmy. That is why I started this thread. I am researching goats with people that have had them in an effort to decide. Again, why I started this thread- to get feedback. I don't know the difference really between dwarf nigerians, angoras and nubians. I have never had a goat. I would like milk and wool in a perfect world (thus the angora or perhaps nigora). From what I have read you can milk angoras. I was hoping that perhaps someone on here would have had experience with them as both wool and dairy goats. I can find dwarf nigerians, angoras and nubians locally (one of the reasons they were my top three).

Thanks for the help, everyone. Any other thoughts on the matter?

Back
Top Bottom