Trying to plan ahead, a little - a couple of rooster questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Orchid, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I have four chicks right now, around 8 weeks old. One BO, one Cherry Egger (aka Production Red) and two EEs. The BO, as far as I can tell, is definitely a pullet. I believe one of the EEs is also a pullet. The other EE and the PR are starting to seem suspiciously roosterlike to me, although I'm still wavering on the EE. The PR has a huge pinkish red comb and wattles already, and I found some lovely iridescent green feathers on its neck and tail last night, so I'm pretty darn sure it's a cockerel.

My first question is - if only one is a rooster, are three hens enough for one rooster or will I have bald hens? I refuse to have bald hens. Yuck.

Second question - if two of them are roosters...well, this is actually two questions. If they are both roosters, the question above still applies, plus I'd like to know if they will fight horribly.

And thirdly, just a big whine - if I have to get rid of one or two of these chickens, my kids are going to be really upset with me!

These are my very first chickens, and they were all supposed to be sexed at the hatchery. Ha! [​IMG]

Can you get roosters neutered? [​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I guess it depends on why you will need to get rid of them. If roosters aren't allowed, you probably will have to get rid of them. If they grow up together, they shouldn't fight too much, they should be pretty cool with eachother. 1 hen is enough for 1 roo, depending on the roo though, you could have 1 roo and 10 bald hens (this is what my breeding pen looks like at the moment).

If you can have roosters, neutering them is called caponizing. It's not done to prevent the spread of genetic material though, it's done to make eating the bird better.

I've heard there is an expensive proceedure that you can get some vets to do to remove the voice cords of roosters to remove their crow if that's what you're going for.

3. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Actually, where I live I could have a million roosters if I wanted. Okay, maybe the state ag dept. would frown upon a million roosters on 20 acres - but I could have quite a few. [​IMG]

So basically, if I do end up with two roosters and two hens, all could still be right in their little world? That would be good.

4. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Yep, everything will be fine. 20 ACRES though!!! You only have 4 chickens.... tsk tsk, get more!! [​IMG]

5. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    My sneaky plan is to slowly desensitize my hubby to this whole chicken-owning thing - it took me 10 years to get these four! [​IMG]

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    you sound like me - we have 26 acres and only 8 chickens. [​IMG] I need more too!!!!

I think by zoning we could probably have a rooster farm if we wanted, but our neighbors are already giving us hairy eyeballs about 'there better not be no crowing' (yep, just like that) so us ex-city folk are keeping the peace and staying with hens.. for now. [​IMG]

7. 7cutechix

7cutechix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Orchid, I hear ya!!! We've lived on 8 acres 6 years and my hubby was NOT thrilled with my desire for chickens....finally got 6 last year and 6 more this year...he does go out to "talk" to them and even hugs them when they are out in the yard! It'll happen!

8. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Right now I have 6 cockerels and 6 pullets living with each other and for a while the cockerels was always getting into fights but they are getting along real good as they are getting older. I think when they were fighting they were establishing pecking order. My cockerels at one time took a liking to pecking the crap out of me and especially anyone they didn't know. One day I showed them who was boss and ever since my little cockerels has been really nice. If the cockerels were still mean then they would be at freezer camp. Oh by the way, mine are 8 weeks old also

I have other chicks too but these older chicks lives seperate from the others (big size difference).

9. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:[​IMG] My husband already has a funny high pitched "CHICKENS!" thing he does every time he walks past them, and he swears they like Hank Williams Jr. on the radio. (I had no idea chickens have such bad taste in music...maybe it's just my chickens, though. [​IMG] ) He also stopped working on his tractor while they were in the garage because he was afraid a spark might land in their brooder and he didn't want, and I quote, "Fried chicken!" Sooo I think they're growing on him. [​IMG]

featherz, I suppose you passed up the opportunity for a grammar lesson? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by