trying to reintroduce chick with hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandyhope, Dec 31, 2013.

1. dandyhope

dandyhope New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    I have a 10 day old chick that was amandoned by it mother on day 2, it obviously the runt of the 3 chicks that hatched. I found the chick very nearly dead with hypothermia - it was stiff and couldn't hold its head up. the chick is now doing really well and although it hasn't entirely fluffed up it is starting to get its feathers, I have spent time with to outside and can forage for food and will follow me around the garden on sunny days.
    I am now thinking of reintroducing it to the mother hen and other chicks - does anyone have any tips? I would hate to loose it now!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    [​IMG]

Don't try it!

Chickens don't possess consciences and if the mother hen won't accept a chick as a new born she surely won't accept it now that it has imprinted on a human. In fact I strongly suspect that the chick will refuse to recognize her own mother as a chicken, in which case your problem is solved.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree, that hen isn't going to take to the chick now. I think you have like a 48 hour window from when the first chick hatches, something like that. Just accept the fact you have a brooder baby and wait until chicklet is around 4 months to put in with the flock.

4. dandyhope

dandyhope New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Thank you for your help - I tried it this morning and it didnt work very well. The mother hen didn't go crazy but kept her other chicks away from it and then gave it a few really big pecks so I pulled it out. I am worried that the chick is starting to get a little lonely - I have put a mirror in its box but when its not in the room with us it gets a bit worked up.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    When a chick hatches it imprints on the first object it sees that moves.

Whether it is a mama hen or a golf cart is immaterial to the chick.

It sounds to me like the lonely chick now thinks of you as its mother.

It is you for which it pines, not the company of other chickens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if46PjFilqk

[​IMG]

Is it any wonder then that some chicks and chickens act a little confused?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. dandyhope

dandyhope New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks Chickengeorgeto - yup thats exactly what it does!!! On sunny days I spend a while in the garden with it and it follows me everywhere[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by