Trying to reintroduce sick hen to the flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ashedd, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ashedd

ashedd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    I have a buff orphington that has been sick for a while now. I noticed she was sick over a month ago, took her to the vet. She got better so I put her back with the flock and she did well for about a week. Took her back to the vet and got meds, she had lost 2 pounds. Basically coccidia was to blame. She has been in the basement in the recovery room for about 2.5 weeks. Today I decide its warm enough to let he hang out with the flock. She looks visibly excited when I take her out there but as soon as I let her in the pen the other two hens start to pec her in the face and neck. I stopped them and watched for a while and they started up with the same stuff. So I had to take the buff back out and put her in the basement... she looks very depressed down there.

So what can I do?

2. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'm pretty new to chickens, but have had to do the whole flock integration thing. The last hen I integrated was not well received by her flock mates. That went on for a couple of days- now there is no squabbling at all and they all get along.[​IMG]

3. ashedd

Nov 3, 2010
    she is still pretty weak so I am afraid they will kill her before they get it worked out.

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    They are deciding where she is on the pecking order. I would try to introduce her at night.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    First make sure she is strong enough..then she is just going to have to deal with the initiation back into the flock. It's hard to watch but it is just the way of the world with chickens. It could actually take weeks before its totally settled but should get less intense within a few days. You just need to make sure that they aren't keeping her from getting to food and water.

Some things you can do to make it easier on her are reintroduce her at night and move the furniture around to change up the environment/territory. (needs to be big changes) You can also try putting up objects that will block their view. (out of site, out of mind)

Good luck to you and be strong..as long as they don't draw blood or keep her from food and water she should be fine.

6. ashedd

Nov 3, 2010
    Are you guys sure? Because they were pecking the S&^t out of her. They always go submissive when I touch them on the back and I had to quite forcibly push one of them across the pen to get her to stop... she then charged me and the sick buff. My hens are named 1, 2 and 3 with 1 being the dominant and 3 the buff. Well the "nice" one, number 2, was the one causing all the problems. And the buff didn't even try to run or protect herself. I was/am afraid they will get her neck good enough for her to bleed out. I have spent $300 in vet bills for this $6 dollar chicken, I really don't want her to be killed.

If you assure me it should be ok then I guess I will try it again. Can't have a chicken in the basement forever.

Thanks

PS. they all stopped laying eggs:/ I assume its cause it's cold out and they are adjusting, the buff has been ill so I understand.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    You need to put another buddie with her then a second one... for a few days and then introduce the THREE to the flock...that way she will have protection...Make careful choices in the friends..

8. ashedd

Nov 3, 2010
    sorry I should have mentioned that the flock is a total of 3 [​IMG]

I will give it another try when/if it gets a little warmer out. I don't want to through here out there in 40 degree temps after she has been in the warm basement for a long time.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Maybe reverse the intergration. giver her back the coup for a couple days and put the others in solitary, then add them in one at a time mildest first.

10. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Quote:2nd that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by