Trying to save Chicks life..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bettyboop7499, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    Good morning, my puppy got ahold of one of my 7 week old Wyandottes! When I found her the chick was laying lifeless and Nikki had a mouth full of feathers...horror! I picked the chick up because she was still breathing, I thought I would just try to give her a little comfort at the last few moments of her life. As I held her, I noticed her eye started moving, then she snuggled, wiggled her head into my robe. I held her for awhile until she pooped on me...I set her up in a basket all snuggled up. She is awake and she did drink a little water just one drink, she hasn't eat anything yet. So she is awake but not moving anything. I know she can move her toes cause she held on to me when I was holding her. She chirped a bit when she saw Nikki again but other than that nothing else. I have her snuggled in a basket with a tint like over her so she can't see anything, I didn't want to scare her more than she already is. I tried taking her outside but she just laid on the ground so I don't think she would be safe out there?

What is the best thing to do for her? Should I put her back with the flock? Or, keep her inside until she's at least standing? Is there anything I should try to get to drink other than just water or eat?

Any advice please will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    She is actually starting to eat some cooked oatmeal. :fl

Chick-N-Fun and BrahmaGirl2018 like this.
  3. BrahmaGirl2018

BrahmaGirl2018 Chirping

Aug 1, 2018
    Maybe some electrolytes in her water? Sounds like she is in shock. I would keep her inside if she were mine. Warm and safe. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment soon. Good luck with your little one!

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Giving electrolites can help, sav-a-chik is widely available. Hydration is more important than food initially. The chick is likely in shock, so hydration and quiet rest to let it recover is important. Make sure it's warm enough. I generally try to get some fluids in about every 20 minutes initially if they aren't drinking on their own. If there are any wounds, then clean those up with a bit of mild soapy water, or veterycin wound spray. You can put a bit of plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on them (no pain killer). If there are no internal injuries then it may recover and be just fine with a bit of support now. If there are internal injuries then time will tell, there isn't much that can be done for that. Give it a day or two and see how it's doing. Oatmeal can be hard to digest, I would offer some mash made from her regular feed mixed with a bit of water, or some cooked or scrambled egg instead. Poultry nutri drench can help also, gives them a bit of a boost.

5. Abraeri

Abraeri Songster

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    My Coop
    Has she been injured? Try giving her some nutri-drench... don't put her outside until she is well - I've heard chickens have a tendency to pick on the weakest. Please post pictures/

Chick-N-Fun and Bettyboop7499 like this.
  6. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    IMG_0641.JPG I do think she was in shock. I didn't want to move her around too much because she was already traumatized. She is awake now! I couldn't see any injuries and no blood or anything. She is drinking a little water. She actually stood up a little. I'll setup the dog crate for her and keep her in the house in a quite room AWAY from the dogs until she is doing better.

BrahmaGirl2018, Melky and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    That's awesome, she looks pretty good in the picture so hopefully it was mostly shock. She still may be sore, no telling how hard she may have been squeezed, and she may be bruised, so I'd keep her in until you know she's getting around well and eating and drinking good.

8. Bettyboop7499

Bettyboop7499 Songster

Mar 25, 2018
    Traverse City, MI
    I don't see any injuries, but I do think her wing is hurt if not broken. I don't know how to tell if it's broken.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  9. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

I actually have a rooster that if anything or anyone messes with him, he will faint like a myotonic goat. First couple times it happened I freaked. I raised him from a baby. It is like he thinks I am gonna take him to the pot! Lol

10. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Comb turns almost white. Unless something wrong with him. Seems ok. I don’t know. Im glad she is recovering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: