Trying to save my hen's eye....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alexandra33, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, all! My beautiful GLW, Kiowa, injured her eye due to unknown reasons a few days ago. [​IMG] When I discovered her plight, the eye was quite swollen and sealed shut by a scab all along the eyelid. Since then, the swelling has gone down, but now I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to soften the scab with saline solution so she can open that eye. Do you suppose I should let the scab fall off on its own with time? Or will leaving it be increase her risk of going blind? (if she isn't already) I appreciate any and all advice! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (taken the day we noticed the injury)

Thanks,
    ~Alex

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Hi

I would apply Terramycin to the scab and go from there.Hopefully the scab will fall off.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I do think that softening the eye drainage with saline or warm compresses to the eye may help. Then you can use either Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment, bot of which can be found in feed stores. You could also check eith your vet who may have some eye drops such as ciprofloxacin or others that may be even better. Eye injuries, infections, and respiratory sinus infections may cause eye drainage and swelling. Are there any other symptoms such as nasal drainage, sneezing, or gasping?

1 person likes this.
  4. Alexandra33

Thank you both so much! [​IMG] I will start doing research on the eye ointments/gel/drops recommended.

Other than the obvious issue, she seems perfectly fine. Eating, drinking, active, no discharge from the eyes or nose, sneezing, or gasping. [​IMG]

~Alex

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Pecking is one cause of eye problems. But I can remember one fellow on here that had a hen who appeared to have a massive pus-filled eye. After he cleaned and probed gently inside the eye, he found a seed pod that had stuck in there and caused the infection. Bits of grass or dirt could also be the cause. I would at least use some saline or warm soaks to start with, and then progress from there if necessary. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. Alexandra33

All those definitely make sense, given the sorts of things free-range birds are exposed to. [​IMG] (although I suspect pecking to be the cause) Again, I REALLY appreciate your help! [​IMG] I will definitely update you as soon as we manage to ease the scab apart.

~Alex

7. Alexandra33

So, the scab is finally off. Unfortunately, though, Kiowa is by all appearances blind in that eye. [​IMG] I tried waving my hand in directly in front and there was no reaction or reflex whatsoever. I got a closer look and it seems shrunken plus encased by a cloudy film. I'll try for pictures later.

Although I'm a little sad for my girl, I happen to have another one-eyed hen (she's 3 years old now and lost her sight at a week of age) who gets around just fine despite her handicap. [​IMG] I am confident Kiowa will still live a happy, fulfilled life.

~Alex

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's unfortunate if she is blind in the one eye, but I also had a hen that only had one eye. She would get out of our pasture every now and then, couldn't find her way back. Let us know how she gets along.

9. Alexandra33

Poor little girl. [​IMG] I'm sorry she didn't get around well. [​IMG]

Kiowa's as happy as ever even since before the injury, thankfully. [​IMG] Days have been spent free-ranging with her flockmates, foraging, and dustbathing in their favorite spots! [​IMG]

Comparison pictures of good eye vs. bad eye:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is a very pretty hen. I hope she does well with her little handicap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by