trying to sex/age Silver Appleyard ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QueenofShibas, Aug 16, 2016.

1. QueenofShibas

QueenofShibas Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I am wondering if there is a way to sex and age these Appleyard ducklings. There are four Ancona's I hatched four weeks ago as well. I am trying to sex the Appleyards but can't tell by voice yet. Some are lighter and I was wondering if that ment they were girls or is it just the different duckling colors, mallard looking vs. traditional Appleyard duckling? (Yes,there are five white Appleyard in the lot) thank you for help/advice.

2. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    You will not be able to tell by color with appleyards. Voice is the first way you will be able to tell the sex...then head color (drakes turn green)

3. QueenofShibas

Jun 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    Okay, I was just checking. They are just getting their feathers I'm guessing the age 4-6 weeks but can't be sure as they were malnutrished before I got them. I have been working with two of them that have the tendon damage from it.

4. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    You should be able to tell by voice pretty soon. My girls I could tell where girls at 4/5 weeks

5. QueenofShibas

Jun 27, 2016
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]

I couldn't get this to post sooner, but these are the two with bad legs it's the best I could get as they can't stand up long, I took them to a vet and got vitamin supplements. They get water therapy and I stretch the tendon to keep it from locking. Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by