Trying to sex my ISA Brown chicks :)

IvanK

Songster
Sep 25, 2017
Manitoba
Hi all and happy new year! So...this is the first time I hatched ISA Browns and I'm trying to sex my 11 day old chicks. I think these can be sexed right away but I've read so much online that nothing seems conclusive on how to so I thought I'd ask :) I've attached a hopefully adequate photo. Can anyone sex any of these little beauties definitively? I think the bottom left is female due to her brownish head. The others seem like inbetweeners. Any ideas? Thank you kindly!

IMG_3402.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Isa Brown to Isa Brown does not produce more sexlinked Isa Browns. You have just hatched mixed breeds that can not be sexed till they are several weeks old.
Just curious..since the genetics of these chicks will be all over the place, is there a name for their "type"...or is it just mixed? I would imagine they won't be the great layers that momma is but can I still expect reasonably good productive hens?

Just curious..since the genetics of these chicks will be all over the place, is there a name for their "type"...or is it just mixed? I would imagine they won't be the great layers that momma is but can I still expect reasonably good productive hens?
They will still be very good layers as they have the same genes. The only difference is that the sex linkage in the chicks won't work. I believe ISAs are leghorn/production red hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom