Trying to sex my Pomeranian

Discussion in 'Geese' started by keyt1969, Sep 14, 2012.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

So a few months ago I was given two Toulouse and a Pomeranian and not even the previous owner of the Pomeranian, Happy knew if it was male or female. I was wondering can you sex them by tail feathers like you can ducks? Here's a rear photo:

[​IMG]

S/he has a pushed in top beak and angel wing. S/he is 6 months old.

She "talks" a lot but it's mostly chatter-type (sounds like s/he is laughing) not as much squaking like the Toulouse. Hope that makes sense. The male Toulouse is undoubtedly louder than the other two and much bigger as well. I'm thinking Happy is a female!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Geese can be vent sexed but they can not be ID by tails gender wise. Ganders don't grow a curl like drakes do. So you can vent sex the three or wait till spring for eggs or no eggs.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is also DNA sexing available for birds, if it is really important for you to know.

My male and female Pomeranians have slightly different voices, but the difference is slight and it takes some listening and comparing to use the voice to sex geese. Made more difficult by the full range of sounds they make. Geese seem to be able to cover 2 octaves. Ganders can't hit the extremely low notes. But geese are not always talking in their low voice, so a mid-range honk doesn't tell you anything.

With only one Pom and no other to compare voices to, I don't think you will have any luck with voice sexing.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    OB, there is word that the labs stopped accepting goose samples for DNA testing sometime recently.

5. razvanM

razvanM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    I thing you have got 2 geese and 1 gander,I am almost sure the larger grey one is a gander and the other too are geese.

6. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly, the one I was asking about died mysteriously a few days ago. Don't know how or why. I'm devastated!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

8. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    So sorry!

9. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    Also sorry for your loss.

Celtic
    When vent sexing older geese are there any tricks you can share - I have done some of my older ducks and it can be a challenge to get them into the proper position.

10. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Grassman

i sit down in a chair outside, lay them on their backs on my lap. Then I get their head supported in my elbow, or have hubby or our son help give their neck/head support. Bend the tail back towards the body(using middle fingers to hold), thumbs on either side of the vent, push in and pull thumbs apart (moving toward outside edge of birds body). If they are relaxed it goes quickly, on sebbies it takes some effort to get the curls out of the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by