Trying to Solve Why My Coturnix Quail Stopped Laying- Could it Be....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by mrslinson, Jun 12, 2016.

1. mrslinson

mrslinson Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Olympia, WA
    So it has been 5 days since my Coturnix Quail laid an egg. Her name is Houdini because she is known to pop them out like magic!!!!

Currently, I have 3 girls. One full grown and two chicks that are about 6 weeks. They all live together and get along well. They are spoiled with fresh ground up treats from the garden, diatomaceous earth, plants, grit in their food, places to hide and always the freshest water.....

Could any of these cause her to stop?:
    -we had a heat wave when it started
    -she eats chick starter (since housed with little ones), seeds, grit, and even scrambled eggs (just tried that today incase she is lacking protein)
    -there is no male quail
    -the quail pen is situated next to our back slider door (maybe too in their face?)
    -urban homestead, is she stressed by her environment all of the sudden?

Things I have tried:
    -plenty of water
    -scrambled egg
    -built an extra shelter (little stick hut)
    -closing the curtain to the slider door

Are you supposed to have a male? I ONLY raise them for eggs, so I didn't know if a male would make the eggs inedible....

I added quail to my urban homestead about 2-3 weeks ago, so anyone's help is appreciated! I look forward to really getting to know how to give them the best and add to my little "flock" in the very near future.

Thank you in advance!!!

2. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia
    It seems like you controlled for stress. Does the bird have access to calcium like oyster shell or ground up eggshells? Sometimes a lack of calcium may make them stop laying or lay an egg without a shell *eww*

1 person likes this.
  3. mrslinson

mrslinson Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you so much for your reply and help! The grit I make is clean ground up chicken egg shells, I just started giving this to them a few days ago mixed with feed or mealworms and still nothing. Also give them tomatoes... I think you may be right, I may be too in their face? LOL Overbearing quail mama here... Should I try oyster shell? Would it be ok in the same cage as the 6 week olds?

4. Oreo quail

Oreo quail Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2016
    Central Virginia
    I put oyster shell in with my 6 week Pharoah and they pretty much ignored it. They are nearly full size so I don't see the harm. I think they are smart enough to know it's different than grit. I don't know if they will eat it if they see your mature quail interested but I believe they can figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Sounds like you have a good set-up and they are being well cared for.

Did you mean you just added all three of them 2-3 weeks ago? So your home is brand new for all of them? It could just be that she needs time to adjust to her new home. Quail don't do well with change and the stress of it could be causing her to stop laying.

You said she is full grown. Do you know how old she is? Quail lay well for about 2 years and that's about it. She may be an older bird that just isn't going to lay very much.

To answer your other questions. You don't need a male for eggs. If you don't plan on hatching eggs you are better off without one because it is less stressful for the hens. However, if you did have a male the eggs would still be edible. They wouldn't taste any different.

1 person likes this.
  6. mrslinson

mrslinson Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you for your reply! My oldest is about 11 weeks. I thought a lot about stress/new environment after reading your post, so I covered most of their pen with a dark blanket and gave them some space... I got an egg this afternoon, back in business! :)

7. mrslinson

mrslinson Just Hatched

Jun 12, 2016
    Olympia, WA
    Update, with your help and insight I think I solved the mystery.

Here is what I am going with "worked":
    -scrambled egg
    -leave them the heck alone LOL

Thank you everyone!!! Hope my trial and triumph can help someone else with this problem in the future :)

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yeah, sometimes it just takes a little time and patience. Sounds like they are in good hands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by