Trying To Stop Broodiness....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken boy sam, Aug 2, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I put my Bantam Buff Cochin in a completely wire cage...a dog crate with some hardware cloth. I'll get some pictures later. How long do I have to leave her in there? She has food and water. Also some lettuce and corn to keep her occupied. Will this work?

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Make sure there's no nesting material, either....and the bottom is wire. Sometimes it will take a week or two to cool them off...other times, I just give up & let them sit! LOL

3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I tried that too, my RIR has been broody for three months. [​IMG] If anyone has any advice I would like to hear it too. I might just have to get some eggs from Trader Joe's and put them under her.

4. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    I always do the same thing with all my broody hens. Almost all of them went back to normality after 4 to 6 days.

5. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Well, I took her out becausse we have a show in a few days and that would be way too much stress for her....I'm going to continue after the fair.

6. Barnrat

Barnrat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have a broody leghorn who has been at it for about 2 months now. I remove the eggs regularly and physically remove her from the nest several times a day, but this does not seem to be working. I have a small free-standing coop with a wire mesh floor, so I am going to try putting her in there and see what happens. I am just very surprised to have a leghorn go broody! These are my first chickens, but everything I've read says that this breed does not typically go broody. Oh well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by