trying to tell if its fertil or not pics added post 17

hdowden

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
louisiana
ok so today is day 4 i candled yesterday and there is a darker spot like its developing but if i turn the egg that spot moves around as i turn it. is that norm? i do not know if this was a fertil egg or not it is just a tester for the bator but i would like to know if i might be getting a chick out of the egg though

Last edited:
I am new to hatching chicken eggs! But the ones I have candled so far do do that. There is the dark embyo spot and it will float and move as it rotates.

I've been candling for the first time too, and found this link useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=230

I found that day 8 is the most obvious. You see the little chicks eye flicking around it's so exciting. Mine a due to hatch next weekend!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I agree, leave it until day 10 if your not sure. You can really see a lot of movement around days 7-10, after that, they start to get BIG and then it's harder to see movement again.
smile.png

Best trying to wait and candle around day 10 or later if you can stand the wait. It's hard I know. But what you are describing is totally normal for development this early on. At day 10 or even later you will see much more and identifying eggs to remove will be much easier. Good luck with your hatch!
smile.png

cant really see vains the egg shell is to dark for the led flashlight im using but its strong enough to see through the shell and see the outline of whats in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom