Trying to train my turkeys to go under the fort

outofthereality

Chirping
May 9, 2020
I already had an opening built house with some roof on top. I decide to fixed it up for my turkeys to go in and sleep at night since they don’t go into the chicken coop. But it seems they would rather sit in the corner where these bolder I have to sit on rather where they can perch and sleep on. I don’t have a photo since it is raining but they won’t go under and it’s raining, I try to have them go in but they just go back to the same place. So I put some spare roofing pieces over them but I don’t want them to be completely wet. Any advice to trained them to go under?
159C82F3-9A02-4961-B4FB-D29F580ACAB3.jpeg

Turkeys dont mind rain. Mine were outside in a thunderstorm yesterday, just standing there like nothing was happening.

I already had an opening built house with some roof on top. I decide to fixed it up for my turkeys to go in and sleep at night since they don’t go into the chicken coop. But it seems they would rather sit in the corner where these bolder I have to sit on rather where they can perch and sleep on. I don’t have a photo since it is raining but they won’t go under and it’s raining, I try to have them go in but they just go back to the same place. So I put some spare roofing pieces over them but I don’t want them to be completely wet. Any advice to trained them to go under? View attachment 2948575
It would not be natural for the turkeys to want to go in that tiny area. What would be natural is to give them roosts to perch on for the night.

My turkeys sleep on their roosts in all kinds of weather. If you want them to go into a "coop" it needs to have a minimum (bigger would be better) of 10 sq. ft. of open floor space per adult turkey. It also needs to have a roost area which is far enough away from the walls and ceiling for the turkeys to get comfortably on and off of them.

The preferred height of the roosts depends on whether the turkeys are broad breasted or a heritage variety.

It would not be natural for the turkeys to want to go in that tiny area. What would be natural is to give them roosts to perch on for the night.

My turkeys sleep on their roosts in all kinds of weather. If you want them to go into a "coop" it needs to have a minimum (bigger would be better) of 10 sq. ft. of open floor space per adult turkey. It also needs to have a roost area which is far enough away from the walls and ceiling for the turkeys to get comfortably on and off of them.

The preferred height of the roosts depends on whether the turkeys are broad breasted or a heritage variety.
It’s actually bigger than my drawing and will fit the male and female. I put some branches to support their weight and tied it up abd the ones that go there are my chickens. I just don’t want my turkeys to get sick in the rain. Plus it’s going be cold these days I don’t want to risk them getting frostbite since they’re being so stubborn

It’s actually bigger than my drawing and will fit the male and female. I put some branches to support their weight and tied it up abd the ones that go there are my chickens. I just don’t want my turkeys to get sick in the rain. Plus it’s going be cold these days I don’t want to risk them getting frostbite since they’re being so stubborn
Turkeys are far less likely to get frostbite than chickens are. Their roosts need to be large enough so they can comfortably sit on their feet which protects their feet from the cold. Their heads are not in any danger from frostbite because they tuck them into their feathers.

My turkeys spend the nights on their outside roosts without any issues no matter what the weather is. They sleep in the rain and the snow and in temperatures that get down to -30°F without ever getting sick or frostbitten.

Just because you think the building is big enough for the two turkeys does not mean they or I think it is big enough. You have not provided any dimensions to support your claim.

The only thing I have done is to make sure my turkey's roosts are sheltered from the prevailing wind. Mine have already been through -10°F temperatures this winter.

My turkeys like to roost outdoors also they do have access to 3 walled building but will not use it. I gave up many years ago trying to get them to use it only thing they use it for is hens nesting in it in spring. I have a few boxed in areas in there now that hens will nest in. I have roosting areas in their open pens with shelter from wind mainly but do have a few large open just covered roosting areas in 2 pens that they do use. a few pics of what works for me,
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG
or I should say what they prefer. Building they won't use except for nesting on bottom pic. but if you zoom in pic you can see roosts outside on left of building that they do like and use, you can see birds on them in pic. Range feeder and water under tarp.
IMG_0044.jpg

Last edited:
I just don’t want my turkeys to get sick in the rain. Plus it’s going be cold these days I don’t want to risk them getting frostbite since they’re being so stubborn
Not sure where you live but I am in Ohio, and we do get harsh winters and my birds live in open pens year round without any problems just protection from direct wind and plenty of shade in summer and have raised them this way for many years now. I have redone building now because they won't roost in it with half for nesting boxes for spring and other half divided into small feed and supplies storage and large brooder for poults. I use large dog houses in my other breeding pens for hens to nest in for protection from weather and toms.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    889.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom