Trying to understand my city's ordinances...

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
Here is the link I found to all of my cities ordinances no where could I find that it outlaws chickens.... can anyone decipher this for me?
http://www.conwaygreene.com/Fairborn/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-hit-h.htm&2.0

Let me know what you think.... Other than calling the city I am at a loss. I always thought (or assumed) that within my city I couldn't have them, but in 3 separate places now I have seen chickens in yards... I don't think I could "illegally" have them, I live very close to the police station and city building... and I have a nosy neighbor who I am sure would turn me it.

I clicked on the link and this is what I found:

(e) No livestock and poultry or similar farm animals shall be raised, bred or kept on any nonagricultural lot. However, dogs, cats and other household pets, may be kept on a residential premises provided they are not maintained for any commercial purposes and they meet the requirements of subsection (g) hereof

Sorry
hit.gif
hide.gif
So get Silkies. They don't really look like chickens and the hens are really quiet. If anyone asks you could tell them they are Asian Ground Parrots.

Quote:
So I embellished a little. Well, it's not totally a lie. I believe Silkies came from China. They stay on the ground and don't roost. Plus they have a beak.

That makes them "Asian Ground Parrots!
tongue2.gif

505.17 KEEPING WILD OR EXOTIC ANIMALS
(2) “Domesticated” means any animal which is accepted by the general public as tameable and bred as a tamed animal for the purposes of man. These include, but are not limited to, dogs, house cats, gerbils, and guinea pigs.
e) Animals which may be owned or harbored within the municipality are: pure domestic cats, pure domestic dogs (not hybrid), domestic rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, mice, hamsters, gerbils, parrot-like birds, non-poisonous fish, non-poisonous reptiles, and non-poisonous snakes under five feet in length, and horses owned prior to the effective date of this ordinance.

505.15 ANIMAL DEFECATION.
(a) No owner, keeper, or harborer of any dog, cat or other animal shall knowingly permit the animal to defecate on the property, either public or private, of another without the owner, keeper or harborer having in his possession the necessary tools or equipment to remove the defecation.
(b) The owner, keeper or harborer shall use the necessary tools and equipment to remove defecation from the property forthwith.

505.08 NUISANCE CONDITIONS PROHIBITED.
(a) No person shall keep or harbor any animal or fowl in the Municipality so as to create noxious, or offensive odors or unsanitary conditions which are a menace to the health, comfort or safety of the public.

505.12 COLORING RABBITS OR BABY POULTRY; SALE OR DISPLAY OF POULTRY.
(a) No person shall dye or otherwise color any rabbit or baby poultry, including, but not limited to, chicks and ducklings. No person shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, raffle or give away any rabbit or poultry which has been dyed or otherwise colored. No poultry younger than four weeks of age may be sold, given away or otherwise distributed to any person in lots of less than six. Stores, shops, vendors and others offering young poultry for sale or other distribution shall provide and operate brooders or other heating devices that may be necessary to maintain poultry in good health, and shall keep adequate food and water available to the poultry at all times.

I think these are the most pertinent.....
1. they do not list "chickens" as prohibited
2.parrot-LIKE birds are permitted
3. You can not sell, or give away chickens or eggs unless there are at least six of them
4. You must control and dispose of all feces
5. nothing is allowed to be to noisy or smell bad

Where they screwed themselves was "parrot-like", parrot like how? can imitate sounds? knows its owner? can perform tricks? eats seeds? what they should have said was birds of the "Psittacidae" genus only, meaning hook-billed birds, or parrots.

Essentially, the person(committee) that wrote this was naive. By there standards, most salt water fish,several dog breeds (malamute, husky) several cat breeds (savannah,bengal) can not be kept at all, even though these are recognized breeds by the AKC, etc. When what they meant to say that any first generation hybrids are not welcome, like a wolf lab mix, or a bobcat and tabby. Yet they list chinchillas as a tamed(domesticated) animal, when its really not.

I think your home free as long as you keep em quiet and compost the poo. (in small numbers) Even if someone sites you, get a lawyer and get off on a technicality....hehe

and they misspelled the hell out of there code....just to point out

Quote:
exactly what I was confused on...doesn't exactly list them as excluded and not allowed, but doesn't list them on the "ok" list either.... hmmm.... should I call the city or just get em?

Back
Top Bottom