Trying Trapping, but got wrong species LOL

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Jamie_Dog_Trainer, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    We have a ton of feral cats in our area, I have complained about them before. But where we used to live their populations got lower and lower, I am thinking because of the huge population of coyotes. Anyway we have a large colony of breeding ferals and I set a trap yesterday hoping to catch one of the toms who is terrorizing my own cats and I fear for my rabbits.

This morning I was happy that the trap was sprung, but caught an Opossum instead LOL. The only thing is the dang thing ate -- yes I mean feasted on -- the CAN the cat food was in, right along with the label. There's only about 1/3 of the can left. I knew they had a good varied diet but sheesh!! [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Like the variation on mary had a little lamb, "mary had a william goat, william goat, william goat, mary had a william goat and he was lined with zinc" [​IMG]

I've learned you can't put food in raccoon livetraps on plastic lids (to prevent them pulling it underneath) because they just eat the lid. Possum eating CAN is a new one on me though. Wow! They do have scary-good teeth, I've known cats terribly mutilated in possum encounters.

Pat

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Wha?! It ate the can?? [​IMG]

4. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Here you go LOL!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] oh boy that was some possum

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    I should have taken some pics of the Opossum, but wanted to let it go before my neighbors saw what I was doing. This is a "civilized" neighborhood so I don't think they'd really like the idea that I've set a trap.

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    so why didn't he just gnaw his way through the cage?

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Mine ate the trip pad in the trap. It's useless now.

9. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    This opossum is going to have some difficult bowel movements.

10. genuck

genuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2010
    hyndman
    Uggh nasty things, and they do have HUGE teeth. My dog unearthed about 5 opossum mummies from somewhere and the teeth are just *shiver* you can't tell by looking at them how big they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by