TRYING VERY HARD TO SAVE AUNT BEA - Very Sick With Roundworms? Ivermectin, penicillin, banamine Now

Aunt Bea's Egg

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Symptoms:
Very Pale comb, hunched up and fluffed up; eyes closing, passed visible roundworm in poop

Eating & drinking a little - yogurt, corn, mash

I gave her penicillin & pour on ivermectin.
I gave her a minute amount of banamine.

That got her to drink, eat & perk up a bit.

Caught her eating her own poop - she was debeaked, sadly, and is a highly motivated eater.

What should I do next? I bought Wazine but need to know when to use it now that she had the ivermectin.

Does she need iron?

Really trying my best here...

Keep her inside where it's nice and warm, 80-85 degrees is ideal. Not sure banamine is used in poultry, so be careful. A better wormer to try would be Safeguard at 0.23ml per pound for five consecutive days, but I would only do that if she were stable, warm and properly hydrated.

-Kathy

Wazine is two *tablespoons* per gallon of water for 24 hours only.

X2 on what Kathy said. There are better wormers than Wazine. Safeguard is a good one, so is Valbazen.

Keep us posted!

MrsB

Safeguard paste for horses? When should I use it now that she has ivermectin topically?
I am worried about a big worm load trying to pass thru her gut. The ban amine relaxes smooth muscles so things can move plus kills pain.
Chicken in my kitchen - nice and warm

Safeguard paste for horses? When should I use it now that she has ivermectin topically?
I am worried about a big worm load trying to pass thru her gut. The ban amine relaxes smooth muscles so things can move plus kills pain.
Chicken in my kitchen - nice and warm

What type of ivermectin did you use and how much did you use?

-Kathy

FYI, I have horses, so I do know about banamine (got a bottle of injectable just in case), but I remember looking up doses for birds and couldn't find any info.

-Kathy

I used 3 drops of : Ivermectin pour on for cattle 5 mg/ ml.
I placed it on her neck skin.
Again I worry about the volume to pass all at once if she is impacted. Thank you very much for your help here.

PS re banamine: Too much will kill poultry. I used about 1/4 of .1cc. That's a tiny amount and I saw it helped her comfort very quickly. She began drinking and eating soon after for at least a little while

Ivermectin can be used with Safeguard, so I doubt that will be a problem. Have you seen her pass any dead worms?

Banamine in birds:

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom