TSC 6 weeks old.. Brown Leg Horn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FlatcreekFarmGirl, Apr 26, 2009.

1. FlatcreekFarmGirl

FlatcreekFarmGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    I have another chick that i found out is a brown leg horn roo..maybe this is a pullet. They looked alike when they were little.

Any guesses?.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Near as I can remember, that is what my Danish brown leghorn hens looked like at that age. They have huge combs. And the comb on yours is not red. So, maybe so.

3. FlatcreekFarmGirl

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    She has alot of gray on her bottom. Her brother started crowing yesterday and he is only 6 weeks! It is so cute. His comb is big and red.

4. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    That is not a DBL it is a - velocoraptor. Just joshing, it is a Danish Brown - they are streamline and seem so smart. They were the first to figure out o go up the ramp into the coop at night.

You won't be able to look at them the same now that I suggested you are raising dinosaurs. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    big legs but no comb... so I'm guessing pullet.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    That's not what juvenile plumage looks like on a Brown Leghorn. It's a Partridge pattern & with the single comb, yellow leg & body type I'd asume it's a Partridge rock.

7. FlatcreekFarmGirl

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    Here is a pic of her brother...they looked identical when they were chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    What makes you think that's her "brother"? If they came from TSC they are from a hatchery where thousands of birds were hatched at the same time.
    The male chick does look like a Brown Leghorn but look at the difference between the leg sine & body shape of the 2 birds in question-they are very different. Brown Leghorn & Partridge Rock chiks do look similar at birth since both are technically a Partridge colour pattern. However, at maturity the Partridge colour pattern expresses itself very differently in the 2 breeds.
    I remain confident that the first bird is not a Brown Legorn. I raise Brown Leghorns & the female juvenile plumage does not look loke that.

9. FlatcreekFarmGirl

Apr 19, 2009
    Flatcreek
    Thanks NYREDS for all your help. I have been searching the web and looking at all of these different types of chickens...Since I am so new at this it can be a bit confusing. But, I do think you are right! Thanks again.[​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    She also looks to have red earlobes--another clue that is isn't a leghorn, brown or otherwise.

However when I googled "danish brown leghorn" the plumage pattern is different than that shown as a "brown leghorn" on feathersite, and matches the photo here of the pullet in question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by