TSC "assorted" buff bantams 2wks, dif gender or dif breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by becy, Mar 29, 2015.

1. becy

becy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    I have 5 buff bantams listed as "assorted". They are 2 weeks old. Differences are starting to emerge but I do not know if the differences indicate a different breed of bantam or pullets/cockerels. They are all pretty much the same buff color but 4 have tails and one not so much. Of the 4 with tails, 2 are vaulted shaped (like a peaked rook) and 2 are flat across. The 2 vaulted tails are the bigger chicks. The 2 with the flat tails and the 1 with barely any tail yet are smaller. Anyone have any idea if these tail/size differences indicate gender or breed-type differences?

Here is the small chick with barely any tail:

[​IMG]

Here is a small chick with a flat tail:
    [​IMG]

And here is one of the bigger chicks with a vaulted tail:

[​IMG]

Any brainstorming welcome! Don't worry, I won't hold you to any predictions :p

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Often pullets feather out faster than cockerels. So that would make chick number one your cockerel.

3. becy

becy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    Is it possible to get so lucky as to have 4 pullets and 1 cockerel from 5, randomly selected straight run chicks?? Thanks for replying :)

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerels do tend to feather slower than pullets, but that isn't very reliable. It is too young to tell gender with your chicks.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. AmySG

AmySG Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes, it is possible. I ended up with 5 hens and 1 roo from a mixed batch of TSC Bantams two years back. I lost my roo to a hawk, so of course this year chicken math kicked in, and I didn't make it out of TSC without a new batch of six. I'll see how this set goes, but so far I think I might only have two roos. One is way behind the others on feathering, so is most likely a roo.

7. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    So envious, I ordered bantams and 90% learned to crow. I'm in agreement that the first is probably a boy, based only on tail growth. Hope you get some very sweet girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by