TSC Bantam Chick Breed Guess and OEGB Color Guess...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OtterCreekRanch, Mar 20, 2011.

1. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    I too fell into the trap that is the TSC Assorted Bantam Mix bin. Brought home 6 (the minimum you can buy at our store...sheesh). All of them are clean legged. 1, 2, and 3 have single combs and 4,5, and 6 have flat/"no" combs.

Chick 1....was thinking maybe Motled Japanese? But his/her black and yellow pattern are slightly off from the ones I've seen.
    [​IMG]

Chick 2....no idea about this one. Just seems to be coming in solid white. Probably a complete shot in the dark until he/she gets much older.
    [​IMG]

Chick 3...no idea either. Wing feathers are coming in white with tinges of black/grey.
    [​IMG]

Next three I am going to guess are Ameraucanas.

Chick 4
    [​IMG]
    Chick 5
    [​IMG]
    Chick 6
    [​IMG]

Chicks 4-6 definately have the poofy cheek thing going on...
    [​IMG]
    (So hoping this one is a girl...I've gotten super attached to him/her already...(s)he will be staying either way hehe)

Then I have the OEGBs I ordered from Ideal.

These are supposed to be Blue Reds....says 25% of chicks will be black, 25% splash and 50% blue. How soon can I tell which is which? Looks like I probably got at least two different varities...
    [​IMG]

These are supposed to be Chocolates...says 25% black, 25% splash and 50% Chocolate. Their feathers are all very chocolatey but one has white coming in...does that mean it's a splash?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last but not least the Red Pyles....they are all Red Pyle but didn't want them to feel left out lol
    [​IMG]

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first time raising babies!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    That little black one, I think its the first one, looks just like my polish I got yesterday. What a sweetie. The white look like sultans or favorelle. If you noticed a puff on the head of the whities in about a week or so....its probably a sultan. Your guess is correct on the EE's. [​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I got a white one in my mix. It has a few feathers at the top of its legs, but looks alot like the ones you posted. Any guess?

4. OtterCreekRanch

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    They all have clean legs and no puffs on the tops of their heads.

5. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Your first OEGB's look like Gray Duckwings and if you don't want the pyles I'll take um on the others your right

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  6. OtterCreekRanch

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Quote:*scratches head* I ordered 9 OEGB chicks from the hatchery. I specifically picked 3 Blue Reds, 3 Chocolates, and 3 Red Pyles. The first ones should be some variety of Blue Reds(Either actual Blue Reds, BB Reds or Splashes)...if that isn't what they are it is a hatchery mix up, because that is what I ordered.

Yes I definitely want the red pyles. That is why I picked out that color specifically. [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:*scratches head* I ordered 9 OEGB chicks from the hatchery. I specifically picked 3 Blue Reds, 3 Chocolates, and 3 Red Pyles. The first ones should be some variety of Blue Reds(Either actual Blue Reds, BB Reds or Splashes)...if that isn't what they are it is a hatchery mix up, because that is what I ordered.

Yes I definitely want the red pyles. That is why I picked out that color specifically. [​IMG]

On the "Chocolates" OEGB's,
    OEGB's do not come in Chocolates the color is Dun.

Chocolate x Chocolate will breed true and is a sex-link gene were as Dun x Dun will give you Dun Splash (25%), Dark Brown (Dun) (50%) and Black (25%)
    Dun breeds similar to Blue.
    Two doses (dun splash or khaki) breed true, so 100% dun splash or khaki.
    Dun splash x black will give dark brown dun (100%).
    Dun splash x dark brown dun gives dun splash (50%), dark brown dun (50%).
    Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).
    Dark brown dun x black gives 50% dark brown dun and 50% black

Blue Breasted Red X Blue Breasted Red = 50% Blue Breasted Red, 25% Black Breasted Red, 25% Sports
    Blue Breasted Red X Sports = 50% Blue Breasted Red, 50% Sports
    Blue Breasted Red X Black Breasted Red = 50% Blue Breasted Red, 50% Black Breasted Red
    Sport X Black Breasted Red = 100% Blue Breasted Red
    Black Breasted Red X Black Breasted Red = 100% Black Breasted Red
    Sport X Sport = 100% Sports

Also your "Ameraucanas" are EE's (Easter Eggers)

Chris

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

On the "Chocolates" OEGB's,

Chocolate x Chocolate will breed true and is a sex-link gene were as Dun x Dun will give you Dun Splash (25%), Dark Brown (Dun) (50%) and Black (25%)
    Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).

Blue Breasted Red X Blue Breasted Red = 50% Blue Breasted Red, 25% Black Breasted Red, 25% Sports
    Blue Breasted Red X Black Breasted Red = 50% Blue Breasted Red, 50% Black Breasted Red

Chris

True, the gene is dun, but the variety name is chocolate... or khaki in two doses...or fawn silkie duckwing when duckwing patterned [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:On the "Chocolates" OEGB's,

Chris

True, the gene is dun, but the variety name is chocolate... or khaki in two doses...or fawn silkie duckwing when duckwing patterned [​IMG]

Correct the gene is dun and a lot of if not all hatcheries incorrectly call them "Chocolate" and to a point I incorrectly said Dun, when referring to a OEGB I should have used Fawn.
    As you know the Dun gene is an allele of the Dominant White (I) locus. The Dun gene (ID) is found in various breeds in the US, but unfortunately given several different variety names,
    "Fawn" in OEGB,
    "Chocolate" in Polish,
    "Dun" in Wyandottes, etc.

Chris

10. OtterCreekRanch

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    Quote:Well now I am more confused than ever. Half of what I read says any chicks that come from a hatchery are supposed to be purebred, so therefore they have to be Ameraucanas and would be wrong to call them EEs, then the other half of what I read says a lot of hatcheries do not have "true" Ameraucanas, so they are really EEs.

Either way all of these chicks seem to have a full beard and muffs as well as the correct type of comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by