TSC chick weak

Cluckingham Palace Mom

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
I have acquired 2 bantam chicks as they were considered not healthy. One has a pasty butt and I am confident that I will be able to help her.

The other chick has me baffled, she will drink when I offer her (I am doing so every hour to hour and a half) she is very lethargic, not eating, and seems to be undersized. Any suggestions to bolster this baby

Attachments

• 15888099930874129097473999615984.jpg
    15888099930874129097473999615984.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 6
Clean the pasty butt with warm soapy water and be very gentle, then dry the vent with a tissue. Apply a small drop of oil to her vent to help prevent sticking. Get her drinking water often by dipping her beak for a second. I would get Poultry NutriDrench and give her a couple of drops orally, or use some electrolytes in the water. Mix up a small amount of chick feed and water to make a runny consistancy and offer it to the chicks, dipping their beaks. What temperature is your brooder? Welcome to BYC.

April, (Pasty Butt) had her bottom washed and oiled. I have mixed up some mash. She is still not eating. May, (lethargic chick) is drinking when offered, still not eating.
The brooder box is at 99 degrees and 39% humidity.

Clean the pasty butt with warm soapy water and be very gentle, then dry the vent with a tissue. Apply a small drop of oil to her vent to help prevent sticking. Get her drinking water often by dipping her beak for a second. I would get Poultry NutriDrench and give her a couple of drops orally, or use some electrolytes in the water. Mix up a small amount of chick feed and water to make a runny consistancy and offer it to the chicks, dipping their beaks. What temperature is your brooder? Welcome to BYC.
I have done the wash dry rinse repeating often as in I have washed and dried her bottom 3x I think I might have it clear, as she was able to excrete some on her own and I wiped a very large hard stone from in front of her vent, and I mixed Save a Chick electrolyte water. I am not familiar with the Nutridrench but will check it out. TSC will call me when they have sick chickens but these two are not so text book.

Update, April (Pasty Butt) is awesome and beautiful. Doing really well. Unfortunately, Mae did not make it. Daisy another TSC baby came to me a few days after April and Mae, she was very weak and lethargic. Now, that her body temperature is brought back up and she has sufficient love she too is thriving. She and April are best friends. Daisy is behind April. Thank you all for the help. I will probably be reaching out again; as TSC just notified me that they have another baby in need. She appears to have a fluid sac on the back of her neck. She is a Golden Sex Link. Doing some research now to figure out what this sac is. My initial thought was her crop or her yolk sac. But yolk sac is usually stuck on their bottoms, and I can't imagine that you would have a crop on the outside of the body. Anyone with ideas please do share.

Attachments

• 20200531_193131.jpg
    20200531_193131.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200526_184801.jpg
    20200526_184801.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 4
Update, April (Pasty Butt) is awesome and beautiful. Doing really well. Unfortunately, Mae did not make it. Daisy another TSC baby came to me a few days after April and Mae, she was very weak and lethargic. Now, that her body temperature is brought back up and she has sufficient love she too is thriving. She and April are best friends. Daisy is behind April. Thank you all for the help. I will probably be reaching out again; as TSC just notified me that they have another baby in need. She appears to have a fluid sac on the back of her neck. She is a Golden Sex Link. Doing some research now to figure out what this sac is. My initial thought was her crop or her yolk sac. But yolk sac is usually stuck on their bottoms, and I can't imagine that you would have a crop on the outside of the body. Anyone with ideas please do share.
Awesome! Is April the Silver Laced Polish?

Back
Top Bottom