TSC Chicks 'barred rocks pullets' one with five toes?!UPDATED PICS!

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I just bought four chicks so I could get ducklings for the kids, i'll do anything for my kids LOL
wink.png

Anyway they were in the barred rock bin, but these dont look like my barred rock/amerecauna cross chicks except for the white head spots. Plus one has yellow legs one has greenish, two have black, and one of them has five toes like a silkie, but white skin and a regular yellow comb?! Any idea what these are?

47962_dscn2156.jpg
[/img]

47962_dscn2157.jpg
[/img]

47962_dscn2154.jpg
[/img]

This is the one with the five toes...

47962_dscn2153.jpg
[/img]

47962_dscn2152.jpg
[/img]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

Could be some the famous mystery chicks sold this spring at TSC.

The toes could be simply a quirk.

I havent been on the forum much lately, I will have to do a search I guess..... they are awful cute and very friendly!
Edited to add;
I did a search and found some that look similar that turned out to be Silver Sebrights, and saw someone mention Faverolles have five toes too.... anyone?​

Last edited:
Her leg color is all wrong for a Barred Rock. Looks like a cross to me--the legs look greenish in the picture. They all appear mixed to me. Wonder if the TSC is getting those locally. I'd be livid if that was the case.

The more i look the more i think they must be some sort of cross, maybe a couple different crosses....lots of variation there. I know for a fact they came from a hatchery one of the usual ones, i wish i could remember which one, I saw the boxes sitting next to the bins one labled barred rock & tetra tint and one labeled red pullets. That was all they had. I asked the manager about them and she said they called the hatchery to find out for sure themselves. I am not upset, i picked the oddballs on purpose, but if somone thought they were getting purebreds....i would be upset in that case too. I have to say i think the problem in this case is the hatchery. I'll post pics again when they feather out. Should be interesting!

Faverolles do have 5 toes, but they are yellow chicks with puffy cheeks and feathered legs.... I'm thinking you got a cross, or just one with quirks in the gene pool, very cute though!

I just adopted some chicks from tsc and talked to an employee about the chicks and how they are mislabeled. The employees are just as frustrated. So don't blame the individual store. My store has been very helpful in most aspects if I talk to the right person. Come to find out theyve been getting shipments in with chicks mislabeled or supposedly mislabeled but if you don't know for sure you can't change the signs around. When they got in the Easter Eggers they didn't know they got them...unless a trained eye goes in and recognizes them and steals the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom