TSC chicks, not sure of breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sodypop, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sodypop

Sodypop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    It may be too early to tell, but I've got some differences in the chicks I picked up at TSC starting to show and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in a direction for the breeds.

I've got 3 of them that are light like the top one in this pic, and 4 that are much darker like the bottom one.
    [​IMG]

The lighter colored girls are much more friendly and adventurous than the darker girls.

Then I've got one that's much heavier, blonder, and has stockier legs than the others. I'm wondering if something got mixed up in the bin they were in and it's not actually a laying hen as it's so stocky, short, heavy legged with barely any wing although it's the same age as the rest of them:
    [​IMG]
    It's also much less friendly, tries to hide all the time, and doesn't attempt to fly at all with no tail wings starting to show.

Is it too early to get a direction on breeds with these chicks?

Oh and the pics were taken before I cleaned up the box from overnight, they don't remain in those dirty conditions. It was just easier to get the pics as they were waking up rather than after they really started getting active as I cleaned up.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

The bottom one looks like a RIR to me. Not entirely sure about the lighter ones.

3. NCchick1924

NCchick1924 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Ruffin, North Carolina
    They both look like RIR's that's what my RIR bittys look like that I got from TSC.

4. Sodypop

Mar 11, 2012
    Thanks! I was hoping for RIR's!!

I went back up to TSC today and the bin the lighter ones came from is marked as potentially "Isa Brown, Rhode Island Red, Black Sex Link, and Barred Rock". I'm not sure what an "Isa Brown" is, I need to look that up. I'm pretty sure I can rule out the Black Sex Link and the Barred Rock as the colors don't match, even to my inexperienced eye.

The bin the darker ones came from is marked "Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Red Sex Link, and Dark Rhode Island". I'm not sure what the difference between a Dark Rhode Island and a Rhode Island Red is, so I believe I have some research to do.

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Isa Browns are the egg laying machines used for commercial brown eggs.

If it's got thicker legs, looks just like the others and has much less feather growth, it sounds like you got yourself a roo.

6. Sodypop

Mar 11, 2012
    Oh I hope not, but one roo I'll deal with if I have one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by