TSC chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jackjack1111, Mar 8, 2013.

1. jackjack1111

jackjack1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    North Carolina
    I recently purchased a batch of 18 chicks from my local TSC here in NC. I have 9 leghorns(4 browns and 5 whites), 3 red pullets, 3 buff brahmas, and 3 Buff Orpingtons. I am curious to know if anyone has ever purchased any of these breeds from TSC, and if so, how many turned out to be roosters(except the red pullets). Any personal experiences and/or info about these breeds would also be greatly appreciated.

1 person likes this.
  2. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    I've found that when you get the chicks out of the straight run bins about 90% will be roosters, and if you get them out of the pullet bin about 10% will be roosters. That's just my experience. If you end up with extra roos it's really easy to get rid of them as long as you give them away for free -find a local facebook page for poultry or farm animals. I've literally had them gone within 30 minutes of posting. The Brahmas and Orpingtons are the sweetest birds you can get. My Orps are a little crazy when they're little, but as they age they calm down a lot. Also, Orpingtons go through this really ugly teenage stage as they're getting in their feathers. Once they feather out they're beautiful, though. The Leghorns are beautiful as they feather -very easy to tell the boys from the girls after a month. Both the Leghorns and Reds are the best egg layers.

1 person likes this.
  3. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    For what it's worth, my TSC chicks seem to be really thriving. But the person who was handling the chicks at my store was really knowledgeable, perhaps other stores are different. This guy was able to vent sex the chicks without hurting them and double check for me. We also have a knowledgeable neighbor who can vent sex. Do you maybe know someone like that to help you out? Plus, you know, young roosters make yummy chicken nuggets, just sayin'.

4. jackjack1111

Jan 27, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the feed back! Now I just have one more question: for each type of chick I have, how many do you project will be roosters?

5. jackjack1111

Jan 27, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thank you for responding, and its great to hear your chickens are faring well! I got my last my batch of chickens from TSC as well (8 NHR's) and they were some of the happiest hens I've ever had! As of right now, I do not know a skilled chicken-sexer, although I did try feather sexing my 5 white leg horns and 3 buff Orpingtons when I first got them. I determined that 2/3 of the BO's were roo's and all the WL's were hens. I do not, however, believe this was a valid projection since it was my first time trying feather sexing. And also I can definitely agree with ya on them yummy roosters mmmmmm I'm salivating just thinking about em :D

6. stefan333

stefan333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2012
    KY
    It's kinda hard to tell, cause it's always a gamble, but I'd say at least half of the straight runs will be roos. More than likely the pullets will be pullets. I buy or hatch double the amount of egg layers I want in the long run. Right now I have about 60 baby chicks. I only want 30 egg laying hens in the end. A few will die, and many will be roos (they'll end up in our freezer or given away). Money isn't an issue for me, so this is the way I choose to do it. Most people don't want to waste money on feeding a rooster they won't keep, or buying baby chicks they're going to get rid of, so many buy pullets only (you'll always get at least one roo in there, though).

7. jackjack1111

Jan 27, 2013
    North Carolina
    Thanks again for your feedback this is great to know:) I've got one more question: how do you tell the difference between a male and female leghorn after a month? Will it work on both brown and white leghorns?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    When you said you were giving away roos, i checked you location,, and sighed sadly. :)

9. jackjack1111

Jan 27, 2013
    North Carolina
    Lol what do you mean?

10. jawatwood16130

jawatwood16130 New Egg

Oct 27, 2012
    Last year I got 6 buff Orpington's from the straight run bin. I ended up with 3 of each sex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by