TSC ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by puredelite, Mar 15, 2011.

1. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

As a follow-up to my post yesterday 'bout how to sex Pekin ducklings, went back to TSC today and attempted to vent sex 5 ducklings. I say attempted, I watched the Metzer video on Youtube that goes into detail 'bout how it's done. Left my eyeglasses in the truck and was too lazy I guess to go back out in the rain to get them. A shopper there admiring the ducks and chicks was willing to offer a second opinion on my guess-work so only time will tell how many of what sex they are. I do plan on raising some off these so hope I don't end up with all drakes! Got to the checkout and the cashier asked how many I had in the box. When I replied "5" she informed me that in my great state of Virginia they can sell no less than 6 ducklings or chicks at a time. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all that government control has entended to almost every phase of our existence! So... guess that I need help in deciding how many ducklings I actually need. On the bright side, the extra one may be the only hen in the bunch!!

2. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    OMG! I know rules are rules etc ... But how on earth can they tell you that you cant have less than 6! very strange rule i think..
    but hey I'd never turn down extra ducks lol

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I hope you didn't get all females [​IMG] Enjoy the ducklings [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I hope you didn't get all females [​IMG] Enjoy the ducklings [​IMG]

ETA: This post was just in case ya didn't hear me the first time [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    How very odd this topic came up. My twin sister gifted my girls with two ducklings today. I almost forgot and gave them med. starter. Had to drive back to feed store for the non-med kind.Another thing they make everyone buy six chicks, they let her buy two. Got gifted with those too.

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Also anybody know what kind they are selling? They look like the mallards babies I see when fishing.

7. AmberLea88

AmberLea88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Stamford, NY
    As a worker at TSC i can tell you the reason you have to buy at least 6 ducklings/chicks is incase some die, this is a common rule upon all TSC stores. I know it's a crazy rule but it does make sense. In our store we currently have Pekin ducks, buff orpington chicks, black sex linked chicks, assorted reds and another that i cannot remember. Not all the stores are carrying the same kind at the same time, it depends on the hatchery nearest your local TSC.

As a soon to be parent of Cayuga ducklings i hope everyone is enjoying their new additions, i know i cannot wait for ours to come in the mail![​IMG]

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Question, does TSC get there fowl strictly from Ideal? or is it solely dependent on the location of the TSC and the closest hatchery?

9. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Our TSC (both of them) have a min of 2 (FL and AL)

10. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    My tsc is 5 chicks and 2 duckilings as the minimum. Not both together but a minimum of either 2 ducklings or 5 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by