TSC employee never heard of pasty butt??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJbirdlover, Apr 25, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I took my girls to visit the chicks at our local TSC and noticed that one of them (the smallest of the bunch) had pasty butt. I told one of the employees about it and she was amazed. She had never heard of this. When I told her that this will kill the chick if it's not taken care of she said..and I quote " wow, I wonder if this was what wrong with all of the others that have died."

Ok then, come on girls time to go!

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

wow! [​IMG]

Luckly, my tractor supply seems pretty good. I stopped in there today. All the bins were clean, the waterers were clean with fresh water and the food was clean.

My local agway is also very good about taking care of the ducklings/chicks.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Well, most TSC employees are not actually "farm" people if you know what I mean.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Remember some TSC employees are the same ones that tell you to put tetracycline in all the chicks water. [​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    My son worked at TSC when he was 20. He just bought his first dozen chicks from TSC too. (He's an electrician now). He had no clue about anything chicken related when he worked there. Now he is thoroughly schooled. He's built a predator proof coop and his chicks are now 3 weeks old. He's only lost one of the 12. He knows what pasty butt is now!

I really don't think half of the kids working there know anything about actual livestock. It's just a stepping stone job for the most of them.

ETA and DS owes all his chicken knowledge to mom.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Just because someone works in the store does not mean they know anything about the merchandise. More likely, they have a masters degree in sociology or aeronautical engineering.

Times are tough; people have to take what they can get. Cut the poor clerk some slack. She will learn, even if it is only from the customers.

Rufus

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I had this happen to me too..I told the employee and she said it was the coloring of the chick!!! So I pulled it out of the box and was like no this is POO stuck to it's butt and it will die if not removed..so what does stupid lady do oh just ripped it off i was so mad i was like how would you like it if i ripped a chunk of your hair out!! I also told how you can rip some of the intestine out depending on how bad it is. I can not wait till chick days are over so many poor chicks die do to people just not knowing how to care for them.

8. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Quote:I am not reporting her to the poultry police, just thought I would chime in on the board.

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My TSC is good about keeping the chicks clean and well fed and comfortable. I have yet to meet a single employee that knows half as much about chickens as I do (and I have a LOT to learn) but they definitely do their best. One really sweet kid that works there even had me help him pick out some chicks because he really wanted some brown egg layers that weren't RIR's. He was grabbing Light Brown Leghorns and EE's plopping them in a box. [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I don't think those workers have a clue about baby chicks or ducks. When my TSC got there birds in, they couldn't even get to the water because they had it raised up to high for them to get a drink. They were getting weak when we saw them. My daughter saw what was happening, and reached in and took the board out from underneath the waterer and started dipping beaks. Those chicks were so grateful. They stood there and drank for over 5 minutes. I wonder if they get any instructions on what to do with the birds they get in. You would think common sense would kick in sometimes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by