TSC employee told me this...ever hear of this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ButtersMama, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    I have not hung my feeder and waterer yet. I have bought a larger feeder in metal. I'm still using the red/plastic waterer. I have it on an upside down very shallow feeding dish (fits perfectly). I keep finding it filled with chips and/or tipped with water spilled into the coop. I watch as one of my hens started pulling it off of the feeding dish I have it on.

The TSC lady told me that they are attracted to the red (plastic waterer). Now that I think about it they did the same thing to my smaller feeder which was plastic/red.

Anyone hear of this? If I get a metal one will they stop pulling it down? I think if I hang it they will want to play with it also.

2. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Yes, I have noticed it also. And, that IS why they make them red. Apparently they are like people in that respect, red stimulates the appetite. (with chickens I think the red is just attractive to them, like hummingbirds)

3. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    She said the plastic ones with red are meant for the chicks...to encourage them to eat. This makes sense!

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah they're attracted to all things red. But I wouldn't buy a metal one because you'll keep finding it filled with wood chips also. Make a DIY nipple waterer out of some PVC pipe or a large bucket.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    All my waterers are that kind. Once in a while i find on one its side, but it was obviously empty or nearly so when it was knocked over. I'd just stick a brick or two on top til they learned to leave it alone. Well, mine don't hang, they sit on a concrete block.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If it's getting filled with debris, it will help to raise it so it's about level with their backs

7. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    my hub built a feeder out of 3 inch pvc and i have a metal waterer in the coop that i put on a concrete brick. nothing gets in it and makes replensihing their water much cleaner. for outside in their run i put an old white bucket that i had hub cut in half we just empty it at night and refill with clean water in the morning we found they prefer the white bucket and rarely drink out of the metal waterer anymore.

8. CandiceN

CandiceN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    NH
    I bought some water nipples to make myself a hanging waterer with and they are red, too; I'm guessing for the same reason. I have read that in many many places, so I believe it! I'm tired of having dirt/sand in the water bowl, so I'll be making my new waterer this weekend, I hope they like it!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Yes, they are very attracted to the color red. That's one of the reason if they ever get a wound you really have to treat it quickly, like with bluecoat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by