TSC just says "Some kind of Red?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OurFirstLadies, May 15, 2016.

1. OurFirstLadies

OurFirstLadies Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2016
    Riverview, Florida
    [​IMG][​IMG]Hi! This is my first venture in to raising backyard chickens and when I bought my first eight at TSC 5 weeks ago I got 2 each of RIR, Blue Andalusions, Silver Laced Wyandottes and "some kind of reds". As chicks they were yellow with white wings, no hint of red. Now, at 6 weeks old, they are red or really gold with white or cream. Any ideas? I thought maybe red sex link but every site says the female chicks are reddish. I can't seem to make these any kind of red by their chick color so I am wondering if thst was right at all. Also bought two Rhode Island Reds that were supposed to be little hens and I am thinking one is a roo. Which is fine. I live in a rural area and our neighbors have all fallen in love with these little chicks! But I've included "his" pic as well at the top.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    The gold/white one looks like maybe a golden sex link.

3. OurFirstLadies

May 15, 2016
    Riverview, Florida
    I wondered if maybe that was it! Thank you so much for helping out this newbie!

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    No problem! :)

5. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    The one on the bottom of the stump and the red one are gold/red sexlinks but the one one the ground in front of the stump looks like a probable rooster.

6. OurFirstLadies

May 15, 2016
    Riverview, Florida
    Thank you! The one closest to the stump is the suspected roo also shown in the topmost pic. He is a RIR. The one closet to us is the one I am wondering the breed of. I think you're all right about it being a Gold Sexlink!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree you have red sex link pullets, and that one little red is a cockerel.

In chickens there are two base colors, gold and silver. Gold covers anything yellow/red/brown as a chick. Silver basically looks white. So, your little yellow chicks were gold based, thus females. Sex link means the sex is linked to the color of the bird. Females gold, males silver.

[​IMG]

Growing those white feathers on the wings throws a lot of folks off, but it's the base color that really matters.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :thumbsup

9. OurFirstLadies

May 15, 2016
    Riverview, Florida
    Thank you! My little roo is a Rhode Island Red but I am glad to know what to expect laying and personality wise with my other unidentified hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by