1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TSC motors for Whizbang plucker

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by A.T. Hagan, Aug 22, 2011.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I received my Whizbang Shebang parts package last week to build a chicken plucker and am now casting about for the motor.

Over the weekend I drove over to my local Tractor Supply to look at their offerings and found they carry the Marathon brand. Herrick Kimball recommends a 3/4hp "farm duty" motor and they have this one:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-i...c-reg-farm-duty-electric-motor-3-4-hp-3241142

But in speaking with another fellow who uses his plucker for turkeys (part of what I'm building mine for) he recommended going with a 1hp motor as he says his can sometimes bog down if he puts two big birds in at the same time. Along those lines TSC has this:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-i...ric-reg-farm-duty-electric-motor-1-hp-3241168

The label says it's assembled in Mexico and I strongly prefer U.S. made where I can so if the consensus on this one isn't good I'll look elsewhere.

What do you think? A good way to go or should I look elsewhere?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I almost bought the 3/4 HP from TSC. I ended up getting an Emerson (not sure where it's made). My 3/4 HP does bog down sometimes with 3 large broilers in it, but I think it's more the belt slipping than the motor not having enough power. I've turkeys to do this Fall, so we'll see how it does on them.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Keeping the belt tight is something to think about.

Anyone else have an opinion?

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    A.T. Hagan :

Keeping the belt tight is something to think about.

It is.​

5. Bluff Country Chicken

Bluff Country Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SE MN
    My Whizbang bogged down initially, but it was the belt slipping. I put a stronger spring on the tensioner, and it made all the difference needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by