TSC mystery breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shmccarthy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    These little guys were in with the "red straight run" the worker said the only info they got for that bin was "red straight run" and these obviously aren't it.. Haha
    Anyone know what kind they could be possibly? They're really pretty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Their backs have chipmunk striping, but they're not Easter Eggers.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think maybe gold laced wyandotte? Pic below from MMM hatchery

[​IMG]

the gold/brown color in the heads doesn't seem as distinct on your chicks, but the rose comb is right, and there aren't a ton of rose comb standard breeds.....

4. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I was thinking some kind of Wyandotte too, but I've just never had them so I really have no idea. :p they do look really alike! They are hatchery bred as well so the color could differentiate a bit, from the standard I think.

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I bought some slw chicks from my local feed store, I remember thinking one wasn't really a slw, or would be very, very poorly laced cause it looked so different than the others. Now they're grown, I do have one that has a little bit of smuttiness in her white, but not so much you'd pick her out from a crowd as being horribly different.

6. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan

None of the bins were labeled but I was able to tell the employee that they had Easter Eggers and cornish crosses. They had also what looked to be white leghorns and either production reds or red sex link. These ones were the only ones that were straight run and some reds were mixed in. He said the hatchery only gave them the name of the cornish crosses, Easter Eggers (what they calle Ameraucaunas) and red pullets. He also called them straight line chicks which was kinda funny hehe
    I don't want to come in there and be a proclaimed know it all or anything like that, but they should probably know what they're selling. I'm thinking they're GLWs, hopefully I get a pair, but knowing my luck they'll both be boys! I'll know once they feather out, but waiting is the hard part.

7. They look exactly like the speckled sussex chicks I picked up yesterday at TSC

8. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Then what you got wasn't a Sussex.

This is a Speckled Sussex:
    [​IMG]

9. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Exactly. The OP chicks have rose combs and yellow legs, and the body color is quite different than Sussex chicks. Sussex chicks should have straight combs and white legs. Look closer at your chicks and see if they're really that similar, or did you get a wrong breed.

10. I would not be surprised if the chicks were mislabled at TSC. I will look closer tonight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by