TSC No fan BATOR Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigstack, Jan 17, 2010.

1. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I bought my Bator and turner ( no fan) at TSC. Temp Is dead on. I used 3 thermometors. lol I filled the little well with water but Humidity is only up to 42%.
    My cusin used to raise fighting cocks. He said he kept his humidity at 75-80 %. Then tried to get 100 for lockdown. He hatched over 1500 eggs a year. This is not what I am finding in threads. What should humidity be????? What is exceptable? Please advise! Eggs be here Tuesday... Hopefully!!!
    Thank You

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    A member last year put a hygrometer under her brooding hen and the humidity read around 37%, and around 50% the last 3 days. I aim for the 37%, then around 55-58% the last 3 days.

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    ok, Thanks!!! I was getting worried. I will add soaked sponges for lock down and see how it works. Thanks again! I was just needing some more advice.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I like putting a small cup in the bator and adding some water. Believe it or not during last spring I had to add a tablespoon everyday to keep the humidity right. That's all it took was one tablespoon!

5. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Thats funny because I just had an old game cock breeder tell me the same thing yesterday [​IMG] so naturally I panicked and began looking up everything I could findout about humidity. I have taken just about everything from Storeys Guide as gospel and it says 60-62% until day 18 and about 70 from 18 on. So I turned to my friends at BYC, they haven't steered me wrong yet.[​IMG]
    I have an LG still air bator and my temp/humidity is at 102/55% , I had to add a wet sponge to get it up to that. It seems that most folks agree that while humidity is important it does not need to be that high {80% or higher}.
    One thing that I love about BYC is that no matter what problems us novices get into, there is someone online here who has already dealt with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by