TSC or Meyer ?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bluemini, Feb 28, 2012.

1. bluemini

bluemini Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Can someone please tell me which is better to buy from ? I got a discount in the mail for meyer hatchery and its closer than all the other hatcheries I have seen,and Tractor supply dosent have chicks yet. Plus meyer has a good variety,I just cant find out how much shipping is on there website.

If i get them from meyer im just ordering 4,but at TSC I have to get 6.

I have all the pens fixed and the neighbor got there dog taken that always killed chickens so im finally ready to get some chicks ! :)

Oh and one more question,do they pay for themselves?Like ya know produce enough eggs to say cover the cost of feed ?

2. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I love Meyer Hatchery. Their chicks are hardy and their staff are very nice and knowledgeable.

I free range my chickens so they do pay for themselves, but if I had to buy feed for them year round I'd be in the hole. It's all relative to where you live and what your costs are.

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The chicks would probably basically be the same. I've read that some TSCs get their chicks from Meyer. I've ordered from Meyer and been very happy. I was at our local TSC yesterday and they had some very nice looking and healthy looking chicks. TSC would be cheaper because you wouldn't pay for shipping. To order 4 chicks from Meyer, you'd pay at least $30 for shipping. I'd just get 6 chicks from TSC. Two extra chicks won't be a big difference, and if you absolutely don't want more than 4, you can always sell two of them.

If you buy from TSC you might need to take a box to take them home in.

I started to add that buying from TSC the chicks wouldn't have to go through shipping, BUT they are shipped to TSC - so either way - they're shipped chicks. LOL!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    TSC got their chicks today in most of Ohio. If you're close enough to meyer just drive in and pick up what you need. Also call around to some TSC to see if they have the breed you need, if not go with Meyer. 2 chicks are always a good cushion in case you lose any.

5. bluemini

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone im in eastern KY so I will go check TSC this weekend for chicks,they usually sell out fast around here. And yeah what id pay for shipping will buy feed lol wasnt thinking. Thanks everyone,I cant wait to get them !

I have got some from TSC 3 times but no luck so I will try it again. Also,I cant let them free range because of wild animals and my cat. Could I put them in a pen ?I have some that dont have bottoms on them and thats what my neigbor uses for his,if so do I still have to give them food everyday ?

Sorry for all the ?'s

6. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Sure you could use a pin, that would work great especially if you can move it. I have one for my rabbit and it works great.

7. bluemini

Sep 7, 2011
    Yeah they are moveable. I had my rabbit in one last night but he got out through a small hole I missed,I found him though thankfully.

I have two of them that can be used and there good sized.The other one is huge but needs some work. I will put them in the building at night and then pens in the daytime I think,just to make sure there safe.

When can baby chicks go outside to stay ?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by