TSC Special Breed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ih66series, Mar 27, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    Two weeks ago I picked up 6 SL Wyandottes at Tractor Supply. The guy there told me that all the featured breeds are pullets and only the the Cornish Rocks are straight run. I noticed that some of the Wyandottes were darker than the others but I didn't think much of it. I checked out and on the receipt it said featured breed st run. Now they are feathering and I am noticing the lighter colored ones are feathering faster. Is it possible that I got some roosters?

2. FirstLady

FirstLady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    yes the same thing happened to me in new jersey!

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Don't EVER trust what the employees at TSC say. They know very little about anything they are selling! [​IMG]

4. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Ditto what the PP said. Never believe what the TSC employees say, or what signs on the brooders say. Today at TSC I listened as a TSC employee told two older ladies that the bantams they were holding (Seabrights) would grow to be the size of parakeets. Right....

5. chicklovers

chicklovers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    My TSC did the same thing. I dont trust anything they say.
    Im not happy at all. They are big retailers and are not educated when it comes to things like Chicks.
    The signs get switched and people put chicks back in wrong place as well!
    I would say its very possible.... I bought 10 more somewhere else.

6. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    I was told by one of our local TSC employees that they had assorted Bantanas. She told me they had 2 other breeds. Red ones and black ones. I thanked her and hung up the phone. They have good prices on things like feeders and other supplies. And you can catch some pretty good sales sometimes. but I would NEVER buy anything live from them.

7. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    HAHAHA. Red ones and black ones. OH MY. And TSC Featured Breed is ALWAYS st. run. I was looking at the bantams at TSC on Friday and there were some ones with very distinct markings and I asked the guy at the desk right next to the chicks that is supposed to be in charge of helping people with them if anyone had made any kind of guesses as to what breed they were and he told me he didnt know, and that he hadnt even looked at them. And then he just left and I proceeded to put my own chicks in the box and take them up to the register because there was no one to be found to help me.

8. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG] Oh No...I am going wednesday morning to get 6 baby chicks...now I am not so sure. I already have 3 baby roos..I am not looking for anymore roos...do they ever have the correct sex? I went yesterday..the guy that was at the SERVICE desk gave me a blank stare when I asked him when the next shipment was coming in..I asked if he could look and he said "I have no idea" then walked off..I am guessing some look at the chicks as being a giant PIA! Am I better off goin to our local grain store and placing an order? I am a little nervous to get any now..I really don't want any more little boy's..[​IMG]

9. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had great luck pulling females from the female bin. Go for a visit, write down the kinds of birds they have, hop on your laptop at a nearby hot spot, and do research... They had a straight run bin of Golden comets at my tsc last spring.... uh.... so I just picked the dark ones.... So you can do okay... just pay really close attention.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sometimes, the manager will lower the price to 99 cents on a bin he HAS to move out. Yesterday, the manager gave me two chicks for free.
    Frankly, at that price, even if you get a roo or two, your cost average is very low. You may have to barter, sell, eat, or give away the rooster, but no big deal. TSC isn't getting rich off chicks and the employees might rather wish Chick Days to be over.

They only do it to create traffic and to sell other items.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by