TSC sucked me in again. Rust-colored Silkie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexasChick09, Mar 22, 2012.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2009
    I was at TSC at lunch and ended up buying 6 more dang bantam chicks. I could not help myself. They are holding them for me until I get off work since I bought them their own condo with waterers and feeders and lights while I was there. I have sucker written on my foreheard.

Anyway, 2 are white Polish looking chicks, and 2 are a rust-colored Silkie. Would that make them Partridge Silkies?

The last 2 are some tiny little feather legged bantam chicks that are rust with greyish-lavendar backs. I should have taken photos with my phone for ID, but was in a hurry and forgot. Any guess on what those guys might be?

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    The 'rust colored' silkies could be red silkies- or maybe buff.

3. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Thanks. The photos I found of red Silkies had sort of chipmunk stripes, these are a solid uniform color. I will google and see if I can find anything close. I made the mistake of googling Polish chicks to see what my Polish bantams might be and, ummm, those weren't chicken pictures..... >.>

4. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Oops, didn't realize that! I'm no silkie expert...and are you sure they're silkies? They couldn't be cochins o something else?

5. stefzbiz

stefzbiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl
    my profile pic is my redish silky when she was a baby, and here she is now, if this helps[​IMG]

6. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    This chick is pretty much the color of your grown Silkie now, maybe a tad lighter. I am fairly positive it's a Silkie, purple feet and beak with a poof and feathers down the legs. The buff chicks do look fairly similar, so maybe it's a buff. Idk. Thanks for the help.

I think I've identified my mystery 2 as Mille Fleur D'Uccles. I know I probably butchered the spelling, but I saw several pictures of those online that looked like my mystery 2.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Buff silkie (as is Stefzbiz' older bird), and yes, I was already going to suggest mille fleur d'Uccles. Any feathers on the feet of the possible polish? If so, they are likely sultans (who should also have five toes like the silkies).

8. TexasChick09

Sep 25, 2009
    Here is a picture of the Polish with Silkies also in the picture. My 2 Mille Fleur D'Uccles turned out to be 1 Mille Fleur and 1 red Silkie (I think. It's darker with chipmunk stripes). I had showed the TSC employee a Mille Fleur and said I wanted 2 of those, and the Silkie is colored very similar to the Mille Fleur, except for the purple-ish beak and legs. Oh well, my fault for not paying better attention.

My Polish look to be growing buff feather so maybe buff-laced? Definitely clean-legged on these guys.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by